Asking about virtual memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

rikinel

Baseband Member
Hi everone, I need help. My PC with win 2000 OS is always running in 24 hours, sometimes appears a message "VIRTUAL MEMORY IS TOO LOW". te questions are:

1.Why could it happen?
2. any prblem will happen after this message?
3. What is virtual memory
4. How to fix it.

Thank you very much, I apreciate for all the anwers because it is very important

1) Usually this error occurs when the hard drive that your paging file is located on is running out of hard drive space. This can also occur when the virtual memory size is set very low and you a very low amount of physical RAM in the PC (256 or under) and are using lots of programs at once.

2) Really there is no problem with the error itself, but running out of hard drive space can lead to problems if it is your hard drive where the OS is located. You will also run into performance issues with not enough room for the paging file.

3) Virtual memory is just what it sounds like. It is a portion of your hard drive that acts as "physical memory such as RAM". It is stored on your hard drive as a "paging file".

4) The obvious solution is to free up more hard drive space where the paging file is located. The 2nd solution would be to decrease the size of the virtual memory settings to match that of how much space is left on the hard drive. It could also need to be increased if you are ok on hard drive space and have very little physical memory. It means the system is using more resources than are available.

Virtual memory is the sum of RAM and page file. If you have 512MB of RAM and a page file of 512MB you have 1GB of virtual memory.

Sorry Guys I don't mean to jump in on your posts. I just wanted to point out a "good practice".

Its good practice to set your page file to double the size of your physical memory.

Thats what Mine is set to. I honestly don't know if its necessary or not, however I have always been told that this is the most efficient way to set it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom