downloading times

Status
Not open for further replies.

slick_tech15

Daemon Poster
hey guys im wondering if getting around 160 kb/s on sbc yahoo dsl is good while downloading. the thing is, my friends internet was 1500 kb/s so i was like wth. thanks for any replies there are. -charlie

Could be your distance to the central office. He's closer to his, and you are further to yours...just a guess...

SpoiledBoar said:
I got 1.5 DSL I download at 200kbs
****!
what ISP are you with?
i get 160kb/s from my 1.5m/b connection.
cant really complain with that.

I've got 2.2mb and I can download at anything from 10kb/s to 250kb/s, I thought it depended on the website that your downloading from. btw I live in the UK, don't know wether that makes a difference.

http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

Go there, in the middle of the page there is a free speed test. You will have to enter the type of connection you have and the state you live in and it will run a short test and give you the average speed in your area on that connection and you can see how you rate. I just ran the test and scored 3.3 mb per second on Comcast cable right out side of chicago. But metro is right the speed at which you download something is not a true test of your speed since you can only download as fast as a perticular site or server will allow and other factors like how busy the server is all effect the DL speed.

That bandwidthplace test really sucks, its test only uses a 1MB file and with today's connections its impossible to get an accurate reading on it. Try www.testmy.net or www.speakeasy.net/speedtest

And 160 KB/sec is good if you have a 1.5M connection, which I think is the speed of the value connection from SBC (or it might be 384K, but im not sure).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom