reformatting laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobi

Beta member
Hi all

Need help with reloading win98SE after reformatting compaq presario 1234 laptop. I now have windows boot 'floppy' disc and Windows 98SE on CD in laptop.
Turning on PC gets me to a screen with 'C:\>'
I was expecting it to reload windows and having no experience in MS DOS I am truley stuck.

Many thanks in advance for any help offered.

Tobi

Try booting with just the floppy (boot disk) and re-partition your hard drive. Reboot then format your c: drive.

If you know how to reformat a regular pc, you should have no troubles with your laptop. Same procedure.

Shouldn't you just go into the bios at startup and set the CD-Rom drive to boot before the IDE drive?

rasputinj said:
Shouldn't you just go into the bios at startup and set the CD-Rom drive to boot before the IDE drive?

Yes but for him he needs to set it to the floppy drive. :)

Thanks for replying,

With boot disk and CD I have reached set up screen, then chosen to 'continue setup' then chosen 'continue setup and replace current operating system' (although there shouldn't be one because I've previously formatted hard drive).

It then tells me computer may have a disk-compression program installed and because this sytem may contain OP sys or data, set up cannot continue.

If I need to repartion hardrives or anything similar I will need spoonfeeding - SORRY!

Roo, thanks for the offer but I'll stick with what I got.

ekÆsine - thanks for the links. The story so far. Having installed Windows 98 and in the process of rebooting for the second time I got the error on the screen that says Windows Protection Error Vmm32.vxd: Missing/Unable to Load.

Found the following info at http://www.phpmp.com/?page=support
No one has been able to tell us why this might happen, but to fix this, you need to go into your computers BIOS setup and make something other than the CD-ROM the first bootable drive. In the couple of times I've experienced this error message, that has been the fix everytime.
Update:
I've just recently experienced this again and I've finally noticed a common denominator. All the PC's were Dell's. If your here because your experiencing the issue, please send me a comment letting me know if the PC is a Dell. Thanks.

Run the following commands:
/usr/bin/mysql_install_db
chown -R mysql.mysql /var/lib/mysql
Add the following line to the rc.local file: /usr/bin/safe_mysqld &

Boot with your Win98 floppy disk. Choose "Boot Without CD-ROM support" (it's faster the first time). When you get to an A: prompt type "fdisk" and then delete all partitions. Then you have to create a Primary DOS partition. After the primary DOS partition has been created, you'll have to reboot. Then choose "Boot WITH CD-ROM support". At, the A:\ prompt type "format c: /s" After it is done formatting, label the drive with whatever you want and then type D: or E: or whatever your CD-ROM is at this point (with the Windows 98 disk in it. Then type "setup". You should be able to install after this.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom