computer won't start! help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

khang637

Beta member
I had my computer for over a year now and for some reason, it's not starting no more. So one day i come home to turn on my computer, as i pressed the power button, nothing happen. A few seconds later, the power supply has this big SPARK! in side the power supply. It was like it exploded! Quickly took out the power supply and it smelt like crap! So i replaced the power supply and now it won't even start. As soon as i turn on the ON switch on the back of the power supply, the red light flickers one time. Press power and yet nothing is starting... does anyone have any suggestions? Did i blow up my CPU? Should i get a new motherboard?

Thinking that It wasnt your Psu that fualted cuase it problay wouldnt of started if it was.Umm okay My guess is that there is a short somewhere or your motherboard is fualty.
What is your system specs as far as MOBO and the CPU and make of the PSU that shorted.

The mobo i got is the MSI k8n Neo2, don't really know all the spec's on it... The cpu is the AMD 64 3500+ 939 pin... the power supply i wasn't to sure of because already threw it away... it was some no namer from ebay, so im guessing thats why it got messed up... the new one i got is Starlogic 400 watts... im thinking about getting a new mobo... what do you suggest?

The_Tobes99 said:
that is a good mobo, get another one of those or DFi

Thats not very helpful. :angry: He may want a new Motherboard, but not until we know what is truly dead.

Khang: Clear CMOS, Unattach everything but CPU, RAM and video and try booting.

It is likely that when the PSU died it may have taken something with it.
Lets hope not though.

okay... i took the power connectors off the hardrive, cd player, floppy, and whatever else was connected... the ones i left was the main connectors to the mobo and the power connect to the CPU fan... tried it and nothing... it's still not starting... is there a posible way that the PSU took out the mobo or cpu?

Yes it is possible. I would try to RMA the motherboard first as it is more liklely to be the bad part.

If the warranty has passed then its time for a new motherboard. And I would also buy a new power supply since the one you bought isn't well known for its reliability.

so it's more likely the mobo got messed up, not the cpu? i'll look into the warranty and hopefully it's still good. thanks

yea this is something I've heard of alot. People saving money on the power supply only for it to burn something in the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom