Yet Another Video Card Compatibility Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

klein1jo

In Runtime
As much as you guys are prob sick of these, please help. Please consult my newly created sig for computer info. It's not new and cutting edge like it was 3 years ago, but it's still good for a couple more I think. All I know is the 9200 has to go. I have an AGP 4X slot. The 7800GS looks pretty awesome, but I'm pretty sure I can figure out on my own that that may be too much for my comp. I really want a 6800GS and there are some really wicked deals on them right now. For example, a BFG 6800GS OC for $220 including shipping. Is this card too much for my comp or should I just settle with a BFG 6600GT OC. Your assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note I wanted 2 Silverstone 80mm case fans. The ones that can reach nearly 80CFM. I figure I can use this in a new comp if I build one and they'll help out my old one till then. Only problem is each fan has a 3.5" bay fan controller. I only have 2 3.5" bays and both are taken. I have 2 5.25" bays. Is there an adapter that can made them fit in there? Thanks.

Well first, the 7800GS is available in AGP. As far as the rest, depends. I'm not necessarily limited to 2x/4x cards. My slot is AGP 2.0 and provides only 1.5V. However, all versions of AGP must be compatible with the versions before it. Therefore, AGP 4x it must be compatible with 4x, 2x, and 1x. Kicker is though that 1x and most 2x cards signal at 3.3V which makes them incompatible with my slot.

AGP 8x cards are signaled at a voltage of 0.8V. But like before all versions of AGP have to be compatible with the versions before it which means 8x cards must be compatible with 8x, 4x, 2x, and 1x. Now it depends upon whether a particular AGP 8x card can be signaled at 1.5V. If it can I'm good to go, if it can't it may still run but might be unstable.

Now the good news. All newer nVidia cards are fully AGP 4x/8x compatible which means they are universally compatible with either 1.5V or 0.8V and will adjust themselves automatically. So back to my first question, between the 7800GS, 6800GS, and 6600GT which would be the most suitable for use in my computer (which would not exceed the bandwidth I can provide)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom