Why is this CPU not used more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PizzatheHut06

Daemon Poster
I was looking through newegg for a possible new CPU to overclock with, and came across this one.

Click Here

I realize it's expensive, but man, it runs at 2.6 GHz on only 1.35V? That's crazy low. I bet you could OC this thing to 3GHz on stock air. Does anyone know why more people don't try to OC with this thing?

Why would you spend that much money for something like that when you can get something like an opteron for much cheapter that you can get near 3ghz on.

For example 003 is selling an Opteron 146 that he has personally had running at 2.9 8 hours stable on prime for $180. You are basically doubling that price in the hope of OCing some mobile processor that is touchy about heatsinks.

If you don't like opterons you could even go with the 3700+ san diego like what I have. It is still way cheaper than what your looking at and it is common to get 2.7ghz OC and some get 2.9

I was looking at this CPU because I have a S754 motherboard and if I go Opteron I will have to pay for the CPU and the motherboard, which will be extremely expensive.

The reason why 64-Ms are not considered is quite simply because desktop K8 processors have gradually gotten better at overclocking on a more consistent basis. For example, when the Winchester cores were first released, they were clocking competetively high...RevE cores came next and they had a huge reputation of hitting 3GHz, and now we have Opterons that have an even higher probability of hitting 3GHz

I realize it's expensive, but man, it runs at 2.6 GHz on only 1.35V? That's crazy low. I bet you could OC this thing to 3GHz on stock air. Does anyone know why more people don't try to OC with this thing?
All 90nm fabrication K8 cores run 1.35 stock vcore dude, this includes the FX-57 at 2.8Ghz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom