locked hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbduballstrs

Baseband Member
I know alot of people are going to think i'm talking about the bios being password protected, but i'm not. It's the hard drive. It's a laptop hard drive and whatever machine i put it in, it asks for a hard drive password. Formatting is out of the question because the password disables any ability to write to the hard drive. I've also tried using Derik's boot and nuke, it took 5 or 6 days to finish and still was unable to remove the password. Does anyone know of an adequate way to remove the password, and not by shipping it off some where and paying an arm and a leg for it.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news. The password is actually a part of the firmware circuitry in your HDD. If you don't find the password for this HDD, your HDD will be useless.

Low Level format would wipe out the firmware, but I wouldn't try it.

Call up the tech support for the Drives manufacturer, tell them your problem, they should know a way to fix this after all the did make it.

Hard disk password (HDP)—Protects the information on your drive from access by an unauthorized user. If you set an HDP, others cannot access the data on your hard disk without knowing the password, even if the drive is installed in another system. The HDP resides on the hard disk, in an area inaccessible by the user and the system, and it cannot be accessed or reset if lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom