Problem reformating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapel

Beta member
Yo new to the site but i really need help. I just built a computer for my girlfreind but the hard drive was reused and has windows 98 on it when i run fdisk it says the drive is locked what does that mean and how do i uninstall 98 wipe the drive so i can install XP

any help is good

one other thing is i try to put the XP disk in and it says that the Drive does not exist wtf? lol

If you are trying to install xp then this will take care of the hard drive problem as fdisk can be quite temperemental IMO.
Simply go to your bios and change the first boot device as CD-Rom, press f10 and wait for the screen to come up that says "press and key to boot from cd". Bash a button then sit back. Post back if you get any further problems

you know i knew you could do that but for some reason i totally forgot lol but now what if my drive doesn't work becasue in my computer when i double click the cdrom it says its not there??

Check the cables. Make sure the disc itself is OK, test it in other computer. Then see if you can open it in My Computer. Then reboot from XP disc, select partition to install (the 98 partition I presume), continue until it asks to format it, choose FAT32 format (not the quick one). If the partition is larger than 10GB you can also use NTFS, but FAT32 is faster on smaller volumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom