Which video card to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjvvbsn

Beta member
I have a Dell Dimension 4500 that is a couple of years old. It has the Ti4200 Nvidia card in it right now. I don't really want to spend a bunch of money on a card since I plan to get a new system in about 8 months. I was just wondering what type of decent cards there were that would work with this system. Basically I am looking for a card under 80 bucks. I think that I have a 4x agp slot to put the card in.

Another question I have is for gaming is it better to have a video card with say 128mb ram that runs at 6600 or is it better to have 256mb ram and processer that runs at 6200?

Thanks in advance
Tim

We have the exact same computer. I can't wait to I can build my new one, these Dells are a pain in the butt when it comes to upgrading. 128mb of RAM is horrible. Before you worry about your video card, you should have at least 512mb of RAM. Even that is low nowadays, but it will work. I have 768mb of RAM and the same video card and because of the RAM, the PC will play WoW with little lag, Half-Life 2 on low settings, UT2004 small deathmatches on all max settings at 1024x768, and lots of others.

So, with that in mind, upgrade your RAM significantly before you mess with video cards. The RAM will be cheaper and help more. When you decide to get a video card, I'd suggest a 6600GT or similar because I don't know if the stock PSU and motherboard with the 4500 can handle a 6800GS.

If you'd like to get into some of the newer games, just build a new PC altogether is my suggestion. Anyway, good luck!

I believe he was asking if 128mb video RAM was better on a faster card or 256mb is better on a slower card.

Generally on cards with more than 128mb of video RAM it is just wasted anyways. There are some games that take advantage of the extra video RAM, but they are the high end games. And if you aren't on max settings it really wont be taking more than about 128mb.

I would recommend the 128mb 6600 over the 256mb 6200.

If your slot is a 2x/4x slot, you'll need to find a 2x/4x card.
If your slot is a 4x/8x slot, you'll need to find a 4x/8x card.

Should work fine. I don't know much about the 6200 series, but you did well and did not choose one with TurboCache. Those are trash. Good job.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom