My 'Workstation' build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, you probably won't run UT2K7 maxed out on a 6800GS/GT but you've got to be kidding me if you think a 7800GT won't max the **** out of UT2K7. "I don't care what you think" either, so there we are.

As for skipping GeForce 7...how do you know that Geforce 8 will be a bigger step from GeForce 7 than GeForce 7 was from GeForce 6?

You don't. There aeren't even any hard copies of GeForce 8 and its already being made out to be some crazy revolutionary series.

I don't doubt the 7900GT/X is going to own every videocard out there, but back to the point at hand; He should still get the 7800GT. You noobs can't really make up your minds can you? One day you're saying that the 7800GT is the best bang for the buck card out there, and then next you're calling it useless trash. This Forum needs help.

i think i agree with flanker on this since even though that link beed posted did say that it got a 13,000 on 3dmark05, 3dmark is synthetic benchmark so we won't know how good the cards perform in games thereforee we cant really say that the 7900 with be double the performance

Yes, I'm with Flanker on this. After watching a G6100 onboard GFX chip take on HL2 with awsome settings and still cheaper for the entire mobo than the crappy old GFX card I have now I lost faith in these massive graphics requirements.

I'm about $50 over my budget and that's somewhat ok. I might try to throw the VGA and chipset coolers ($60 together) on to the order when I get it if I can.

Thanks again for everyone's help and suggestions... I guess I've only one question left now. Is it worth getting a SATAII drive? Or is SATA I just as capable?

Again...it's pretty much been confirmed from numerous sources that UT2007 will run on a 6800 card on high settings, we went through this debate months ago and everyone seemed to finally reach that conclusion and there is no way we're getting back into this, especially in a topic about someone building a freaking workstation

Thank you

Deleted the last few posts as they don't have anything to do with the topic and are just people bickering back and forth. Please stay on topic or don't make any more comments or I have will have to proceed more dratistically

Mk97 said:
Is it worth getting a SATAII drive? Or is SATA I just as capable?

SATA150 isn't "just as capable" but SATAII's higher capabilities are next to useless. You'll never use the high transfer rate, I think, that SATAII provides. Stick with SATA150, no need to waste money.

SATA II drives are actually pretty cheap now, i got a WD 250gb SATA II at newegg for $100. they may not be at their full use right now, but i think that windows vista is going to make better use of the SATA II. i'd get it, its not expensive.

Yea, thats a pretty good deal. I know a guy who has the eVGA board, its pretty good, nothing to throw a book at.

Well I checked it out, and I'd be spending $50 more for the MSI board. I'm leaning to the MSI tho, because I check a few reviews and I don't think it'd be on the same level OC'ing wise as the MSI.. that and a few other things... plus all my components would all be black so i guess asthestics got the better of me.

One other crazy question... So if I wanted to replace the chipset cooler... could I perhaps use a zalman VGA cooler? technicly it's sopposed to fit a couple different sizes... so I could, in theory use it as a chipset cooler...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom