Can't open recovered .doc and .xls files recovered with GetDataBack

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have downloaded a ton of programs that claim to repair these problems but none have done so. I have tried everything I can thing of for the past 2 days and no luck. How about you? I hate it when I cant figure something out....:mad:

Stuck.... do you at least have an Idea of what could be the "cause"? I am really sad and dissapointed - not with you of course - you guys here have been amazing!

I am dissapointed with myself, as I hate when I can't help someone out.

Any Ideas as to where I should at least direct my attention for help?

In any case, tnx a lot and I'll sure hang out in these forums every now and then. If you have something please let me know!

Thanks again...

xcspr

any encoding I choose, I just get diff characters. All those programs I tried, they showed up blank. What all have you tried?

I've tried Office 2003, the Office 2003 "repair" fucntion, next to the "Open" button.

I have also tried opening it with OpenOffice and I even used Office XP and Office 2000. However, I was told they were made with Office 2003, but funny thing is I received an error yesterday trying to open one... It said something about Office 97, but I clicked too fast!

Could there be a chance that O 97 would open them!? Just dreaming here.....:(

I think its time for me to give up....

The files were 'deleted' (before I got them back with GetDataBack) with the HP-Recovery console. What in the world does the recovery console do to files!!??!!??

Well, I dunno if that is the reason why the files can't be opened again... but I had rescued accidentally deletd files before with GetDataBack and this time, its somehow impossible.

Anyways... tnx for all the tips!

xcspr

always back your data up before using hp recovery. then recover it back to it store bought state. never pick the keep the files option, because it just don't work.

you are probably the 10th person in the past few weeks that had this problem

:)

Thanks for the reply EricB but the truth is, I had nothing to do with it.

It just seems a friend of mine accidentally ran the HP recovery thing, and in the process deleted TONS of important (she's a Doctor) files. I "recovered" them with GetDataBack, burned them to a CD (also have them on my HD just in case) but the files won't open.

They have the Office 2003 icons and all (they are excel and word documenst) but they just won't open correctly. They open up with lots of weird characters. Its almost ridiculous...:(

I also use a Hex Editor to try and edit the file. Someone said on a forum that if you look at the header line and change it to something, it can be readable but I have no idea what to change it too. It wasnt to clear. I tried Office 97 also, no go.

Warez Monster said:
I also use a Hex Editor to try and edit the file. Someone said on a forum that if you look at the header line and change it to something, it can be readable but I have no idea what to change it too. It wasnt to clear. I tried Office 97 also, no go.

I think that you need the original drive to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom