Norton GoBack Error: GB_GENLOG(175)

Status
Not open for further replies.

consolemax_com

In Runtime
My relatives computer won't boot up because it says there is an error in Norton GoBack, specifically GB_GENLOG(175).

I am not sure how to fix this. We were able to get into DOS, but it won't let me execute the program I need to run to remove GoBack and get their computer to boot up.

Please help me figure out a way to bypass this program, uninstall it somehow in DOS, or pretty much anything. This program boots before Windows does, so it is basically disabling the entire system.

Thanks for your help.

oh man, goback is messed up. That may be a hard one to fix, because it writes itself into the boot sector. Here are a few things to try, but be aware that this is very ify as far as fixing and you may ultimately be looking at a format. Here are the steps:

1. Boot to DOS, either with a Windows Startup Disk with CD support or from a bootable CD or floppy.
2. Place the GoBack installation CD in the CD-ROM drive.
3. Change to the CD-ROM drive.
For example, if the CD-ROM drive is Drive E, type the following and then press Enter:

E:
4. Type the following and then press Enter:

gb_prog /u
5. You will be asked if you want to uninstall GoBack.
Answer Yes, or just allow the uninstall to take place.
6. Remove the boot disk from the floppy disk drive and restart the computer.
Answer no to the question "GoBack is currently disabled, would you like to re-enable?"
7. Allow Windows to start.
8. Uninstall GoBack form the Windows Control Panel Add/Remove Programs applet.

If that doesn't work, then finally try fix /mbr and fix /boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom