AMD roadmap

Status
Not open for further replies.

FghtinIrshNvrDi

Fully Optimized
I was reading through this. It's probably all old news for most of you, but I found it interesting. It's talking about socket M2 a lot and what they're calling a 'socket F' even further down the road.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2476

If you've already read it, please don't post and say, "That's old news." because it's new to me, and probably will be to a lot of others.

Ryan

i say, a worthy read in my book :D
though i did not see anything about a socket f, they were talking about a revision F, but i think they were refering to socket m2..?

Looking to the future of Opterons, the current roadmap doesn't contain any information about what's planned. DDR2 is in the works for all the other markets, so it would make sense for Opteron to eventually move that way as well. However, there have been difficulties in the past with getting ECC and registered memory to work with DDR2, so perhaps Opterons will move to FB-DIMMs (Fully Buffered DIMMS) instead. We do know that AMD has something in the works called socket F, a 1207 pin socket for future Opterons, but we don't know what type of RAM is used. That transition is likely more than a year off, but we'll let you know as soon as we get any clearer picture of what AMD has planned.

From the article, last page. The 1207 pin socket

Ryan

Yeah... M2 looks like a fizzle. I'm hoping it dies pretty quickly as to spur AMD to make some new, new products and get things moving in a forward, not sideways, direction. They talk about a couple new little piddly features that aren't going to help the average user at all.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom