cleaning motherboard in dishwasher?

Status
Not open for further replies.
gruntwerk said:
Okay, so u are saying I can get rid of the dustbunnies in the dishwasher... and i can clean my keyboard & mouse in there too?

Will this work for my monitor???
just kidding...

tell him to try a few cds and floppy disks while hes at it...
Not with my dishwasher though... I hafta heat my soup with something...

I actually heard of someone who tried to dishwash his keyboard... :wooha: Fortunately, he thought of removing all his keys. :amazed:
But he didn't remember where they'd all go afterward. :mad: Well, he got most of 'em right on the first try. :D

Yep, it worked fine (the keyboard), after a couple minutes being "hairdried" and a few hours to dry before plugging it in, of course. :confused:

I been working in the two-way radio industry for 30 years. Over those years, I have seen radios damaged by cabbies that spilled their cokes, coffee, and hot chocolate onto and into them.

We have taken the radios, opened them up, and RINSED them out with very hot water from the tap. This disolved the sugars from the liquids that were spilled. The radio was then dried out with compressed air, and a warm air gun. After this process, the radios required re-tuning and operated fine.

The notion that water or other liquids is a death sentance to electronic equipment is nonsense. If a device is exposed to a liquid spill and is IMMEDIATELY disconnected from it's power source and the offending agents removed properly, there are good odds that the device will continue to resume it's normal life.

If a MB was washed in a dishwasher w/o detergents, and dried out properly, there would not be any reason that the board wouldn't work again.

I will go on record to say that, if I ever spill a liquid into my computer, I will do the dishwasher trick. But I won't do it with a MB that isn't in need of repair. After all, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Thanks for reading

Reminds me: my best friend was given a Sega Gamegear by his neighbor, a while back in those time Sega was "cool". ;) The guy had dropped it in his bath and the thing refused to "boot". :D

And all of a sudden, when my friend tried it, it worked... :p

And last Spring, I had a leak in my heater core system in my car. Cooling liquid was blowed in my fan ducts, and some fell on my Kenwood CD player, which stopped immediatly. He didn't want to "boot" anymore afterward. I removed it, hairdried it as best as I could, left it dry here for 2 days, re-tried it and... nothing. I sent it at a repair shop, and they told me it was playing fine. I got it back, and yup, the thing worked.

It's very true that once very well dried, if nothing had corroded, an electronic device can still work.

ZeekeDaGeek said:
I been working in the two-way radio industry for 30 years. Over those years, I have seen radios damaged by cabbies that spilled their cokes, coffee, and hot chocolate onto and into them.

We have taken the radios, opened them up, and RINSED them out with very hot water from the tap. This disolved the sugars from the liquids that were spilled. The radio was then dried out with compressed air, and a warm air gun. After this process, the radios required re-tuning and operated fine.

The notion that water or other liquids is a death sentance to electronic equipment is nonsense. If a device is exposed to a liquid spill and is IMMEDIATELY disconnected from it's power source and the offending agents removed properly, there are good odds that the device will continue to resume it's normal life.

If a MB was washed in a dishwasher w/o detergents, and dried out properly, there would not be any reason that the board wouldn't work again.

I will go on record to say that, if I ever spill a liquid into my computer, I will do the dishwasher trick. But I won't do it with a MB that isn't in need of repair. After all, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Thanks for reading

Nice to see another 2 way person. I spent 8 building 2 way systems. I have put liquid on to a circuit boards before. I think the problem you get into is the water getting into the layers of the motherboard itself. and the amount of water on the motherboard. I have used a solution over the circuitboar to protect the motherboard from water and have hosed off those kind of motherboards to get out the mice cr*p, when there are on mountain top radio sites in the middle of nowhere, but other than that I would not take a working motherboard and do it. But if it is dead I guess it can not hurt it, it will not help it though.

so radios did work after you cleaned them ???? thats neato!
no offense people but how old are you ???lol

pizzanchy said:
My computer repair teacher wants to clean a mobo in a dishwasher and wants some info.

W.T.F.!!!!!
Why does your computer "repair" teacher want you to do this???

Like is one thing test your notebook by leaving it top of your car while you are driving one place to another. And then check to see if it's still there....... by ACCIDENT OF COURCE
(I have managed to successfully drive 30 km on a freeway with a mobile phone on the roof of the car, and still have it there at the end)

I have also managed to get notebooks working again after they just have hot coffee split on them.

I am lost count the number of times i have heard some one drop mobile phones in toilet.

And of course there was the spastic student in my collage Computer Repair Course that used an static dust mop to remove dust from his PC Motherboard, only to find that his computer no longer works afterwards.

But putting your motherboard in the dishwasher is just st00p!d.

pizzanchy said:
so radios did work after you cleaned them ???? thats neato!
no offense people but how old are you ???lol

I'm 50 years old.

rasputinj

Nice to see another 2 way person. I spent 8 building 2 way systems. I have put liquid on to a circuit boards before. I think the problem you get into is the water getting into the layers of the motherboard itself. and the amount of water on the motherboard. I have used a solution over the circuitboar to protect the motherboard from water and have hosed off those kind of motherboards to get out the mice cr*p, when there are on mountain top radio sites in the middle of nowhere, but other than that I would not take a working motherboard and do it. But if it is dead I guess it can not hurt it, it will not help it though. [END QUOTE]

Hey "Radio-Man"! Glad to know I'm not alone in the universe.

I have also see the "donations" that rodents have left behind, and after some cleaning had good working equipment.

Silesia, I've lost count, too! But, I have also been able to get them back to life as well. This is the CRITICAL part, when the "unit" is removed from the "liquids", TAKE THE BATTERY OFF and don't put it back on until it's been cleaned out well.

I've seen 'em where the guy says,"Well, I turned it off". Sorry, that won't work, power still going into the phone. Open it up and the boards have "grass" (corrosion) growing inside.

Enough of my ravings, great day to all.

Well I read almost every reply. I would like to add mine too.
I must say that this is last option. The idea of "washing" motherboard is not new to me as I myself have done it few times and success ratio is 100%. But Be carefull. Dishwasher I am not much used to it. What I did was and you should do is
1. Remove CPU, Memory, battery. every thing that can be
removed by lifting.
2. Remove BIOS. [ There can be internal battery. Earlier some
motherboard of 1990s were having it.]
3. Take some detergent [ Liquid one would be ideal] and mix it in
warm water.
4. Deep it in solution. Keep it for 5 to 10 mins.
5. Use toothbrush to clean.
6. Pour lots and lots of water. Hold it under full turned water tap.
7. Then shake off all the water from it.
8. Put mb under fan t odry and forget it for 2 days.
[working hours obviously]
9. If in doubt use hair dryer and dry PCI slots and under chips.
--- After 2 days---
10. Fit in BIOS, cpu etc what ever you have removed.
11. Fit in battery.[ this should be last]
12. Take a deep breath, relax and power it on.
[ If you are scared you can tell some one else to switch it on
so you can stand in a distant corner. HA HA ]
13. See wha happens.

Now my story.

I have repaired many mbs like this with intermediate problems.
many times it so happens that nothing is worng but system hangs or gives wiered problems that are not found in any book. Professional repairers also fails in this kind of problem.

How i did was listed above and why I did is summerised in above para.

Result: Motherboard worked fine and I could hear that sweet "Beep" sound and then saw OS. 1st Motherboard, a P1 Intel LX chipset on which I did was in 1999. And belive me it is still working smoothly.

So do it without any fear.

one more thin I would like to add.

If we fear then we wont find new horizons. Means if you dont experiment you wont learn.

All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom