AMD Athlon64 3000 Newcastle and gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomcowe

Baseband Member
Hello i am going to buy the AMD Athlon64 3000 Newcastle 2.00GHz processor and was wondering if anyone knew how well it perfoms on games?

are we talking socket 754 or socket 939 here? I think it's socket 754 @ 2.0ghz, but hmm... I'd say it'll do the job any day of the week, but really isn't 'high end' anymore. It's a mid-range phased out chip. It'll do pretty great though as long as you pair it up with a substantial video card.

Ryan

Its the socket 754 version and i have a Nividia Geforce 6600GT Graphics card. So are you saying that is isnt that good for gaming? Would you recommend the AMD Athlon64 3000 Venice or the AMD Athlon64 3200 Venice or what?

Well, if you're not overclocking, you won't see much of an improvement between any of those processor. The socket 939 platform offers dual channel memory operation. THEORETICALLY, it doubles memory bandwidth, but it doesn't. If you can afford a socket 939 setup, I'd go for it! It'll be highly upgradable to any dual core processor made by AMD right now, (excluding socket 940 opterons) and you'll be good for a while. If those are out of your price range, you won't be disappointed with a socket 754 Athlon. Gameplay will still be very good at this point. Don't worry. The 6600GT is a pretty good card and you'll like the way it looks on most games.

But then on the flipside, there's a whole other situation brewing considering your predicament.

If you were to buy a socket 939 board and socket 939 processor, the motherboard would have to support AGP for your 6600GT. So that kinda nukes the entire upgradability thing if you ever want to update your video card. So... It's really up to how much you want to spend.

Ryan

.. Why would you want to buy such an old piece of hardware? Just save up for a 3700 or above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom