Help! No Display on Startup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make sure you have your memory in the right slots. If you don't on some boards you will not be able to boot. Check you manual to make sure.

Hi Synergy,

Yup, the 2 RAM modules are in the correct slots. I think I'm booting OK in every respect except video. A live Linux disk appears to spin normally in the DVD drive, I get the single beep from the speaker that my manual says means everything's OK. It's frustrating.

Thanks for your suggestion, though,

Tim

I am having a similar problem with a computer i just put together at work. I am going to swap out the PSU with one that i had at home and give that a shot.

Hi IceyDeath,

Could you report back with your results? I'm really interested. As I'm probably going to have to return/exchange at least some of this hardware, I'd like to get it right the first time.

I'm getting a loaner video card tonight, and I'll let y'all know how that works.

Thanks,

Tim

I just swapped out PSU's and still nothing. Only difference i am having compared to tim's is that my MOBO is not giving me any error beeps with the card taken out of the machine. I am calling ABIT as we speak, i am starting to think that there could be something wrong with the PCI-E slot on the board. I just pulled the RAM and the thing started beeping at me like crazy. I cant find a section about error beeps in the manual or on their site. and holy crap their tech hotline has some annoying music....i will check back in when i get off the phone with them.

Alrighty after sitting on the phone listening to the crappy music on abit tech support hotline for the last half hour. i am giving up on them plus i think i will kill everyone in my office if i have to listen to that music any longer. I just noticed that the extra PSU that i had @ home was less powerful then the already crappy one that came with the case. Looks like i am going to have to pull the PSU in my case (500 Watt) and give that a shot tom. morning.

I will post the components on this one if that helps:
Abit Fata1ty MOBO
Intel P4 775 Socket 2.8 Ghz
Nvidia 6600 GT PCI-E
250 Maxtor IDE HD
Aopen DVD Drive

And i have tried a 450 and a 420 Watt PSU with no luck on either as far as picture goes. It seems like everything else is running including the fan on the Video card so i have no clue. But i will be bringing the 500 Watt'er with me tom. morning to give that one a shot.

I got it!

I borrowed an older AGP card from a friend, dropped it in, and it fired right up.

So, I guess my motherboard doesn't like PCI graphics cards at all. Go figure.

Thanks for all the help!

--Tim

Well i had a different fix to the solution. The ram i was using to boot up the system was the wrong speed of DDR. Aparently the Abit board will only start with a pc 3200 stick of DDR2 in Dimm 1 and my stick of PC 4200 was too fast. New stick and problem fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom