upgrading harddrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eduard_Za02

Solid State Member
I bought a PC Compaq Evo D500 Pentium 4 1.8Ghz processor 256Mb of ram. The present harddrive is 40 GB with XP OS and i have a 250Gb harddrive (blank harddrive) that i wish to upgrade to if possible this computer only has a bay for 1 hardrive, so i wish to know if i can upgrade to this larger harddrive without having to buy a full version of Xp OS (which isn't cheap). This computer has its product key license on it, so would it be possible to instal XP OS with an upgrade or reinstallation cd?

You can try. only if you have the OS Disc that came with computer.

When you register the OS just say you formated the harddrive. Which isn't a lie. :)!

ok. norton ghost seems to be the answer, but how much does this program cost? is it available at staples or walmart? (these are my nearest electronics stores). Also, i do not recall my computer having a second harddrive connection (or i may have not seen), so do you need to have both drives connected to clone from one to the other?

ok well i'll check at staples if they have it. So is it just me or does every computer have multiple harddrive connections?

I use 10. Every pc will more than likely have mulitple hdd connections, usually 2 on the same IDE ribbon or you could add a card, etc

I found norton ghost 10.0 at staples for $90 and another software called Copy Commander for $30 (which does just the harddrive cloning). Went with Copy Commander (obviously) and it worked perfectly. This ribbon didn't have a third connector for a 2nd drive, so i disconnected the CD-rom and plugged in the new drive and ran the program off of a floppy installation disk. This Copy commander software works nice (plus its cheap), it completely copied everything to the new drive, without erasing the old one, leaving me with a backup drive. Thanks for your guys' help. I Appreciate it

you should have have used your utility that come with your hard drive. if you didn't get a cd with the hdd, you could have went to their website.

everybody but samsung has a free disc copying feature

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom