upgrading harddrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eduard_Za02

Solid State Member
I bought a PC Compaq Evo D500 Pentium 4 1.8Ghz processor 256Mb of ram. The present harddrive is 40 GB and i have a 250Gb harddrive that i wish to upgrade to if possible, this computer only has a bay for 1 hardrive, so i wish to know if i can upgrade to this larger harddrive without having to buy a full version of Xp OS (which isn't cheap). This computer has its product key license on it, so would it be possible to instal XP OS with an upgrade or reinstallation cd?

no, not really. Some people on here might know how to transfer all of the information from the 40gb hard drive to the 250gb one. My dad has a program he uses for work, but I don't know what it's called.

Ryan

i've heard of nortonghost, so how much is this program and do you have to have both drives connected to transfer from one to the other?

Not sure on the price I pirated my version. No you don't have to have the drive in, all you do is make a image backup and you can either keep them on your drive or burn to cd, I recommend burning to cd as it compressed the files quite a bit. You could technically connect both drives and leave the other one sit on the bottom of the case while your copying, just make sure the drive isn't being moved around and you should be good. I do it sometimes if I don't have enough space in my bays.

Ok, this makes sense, so it should work. I'll check for a second harddrive connection, or burn to a cd, if i can get nortonghost today. I'll be back tomorrow with the results. Thanks

We're not really supposed to mention about piracy but seeing as you found it on your own that should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom