Easy cheap upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

In Runtime
I've had my comp for 5 years now and would like to do some upgrades for gaming (not hardcore), for about $200 Cdn. It's an intel celeron 800 mhz. 64 MG ram, 32 Mg Nvidia geforce 2. Suggestions?

Thanks. That PC133 Ram page is out of date though.

Are you sure the P III processor would be compatible with my Celeron?

the only thing I can see happening is this... If you have a slot 1 processor, then you'll need a slot one replacement. More than likely, it's a socket 370, but in the case of slot 1, you'll need to find a compatible CPU.

Download a program called CPU-Z and look on the first page of it. It should tell you in the little blank called "package" what slot it is.

Ryan

I downloaded that program. It's a socket 370. So that means it has good compatibility with Pentiums?

One other thing- it says it has 256 MB of SDRAM for memory. I thought it had 64. Does that mean I can upgrade to say, 1024 MB if I want to? (there's three empty memory slots).

You probably can, but there's not too much of a point. You can stick a 512mb stick of ram in there with it, and it'll have 768. That's about all the pentium 3 can probably effeciently make use of.

If you have a socket 370, then good. You're a lot better off. Slot 1 is so weird anyway. I think I hate it.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom