CPU Voltage @ 1.600 is it too high?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boomstick666

Daemon Poster
im OC my x2 4800+ to 2.8GHz (mobo: DFI Lanparty Nf4SLI-DR). its stable (prime95 12hours and OCCT) @ 1.600volts even. and anything under that will make it unstable..is 1.6 too much? i heard its better under 1.6 but im exactly @ 1.6.... and the CPU temp and Chipset temp stay pretty cool. CPU reaches 42c at max load and usually stays around 33c. chipset never goes past 50c. but PWMIC get super hot (65c or so...dfi-street says keep it under 70c, means never go past 70c) so i need some fan around the RAM area...but i have one another noob question. which 1 is considerd to be the "MOBO temp"? chipset temp or PWMIC temp? cuz they r very different. btw im using OCZ titanium ddr400. right now 234x12=2808 and ram@1:1. ive been trying various ram timings....i made the timings loose, but its all trial and error...ram voltage at 2.8. o and btw, when i use ram divider, i get more errors...wth??

Well he has a single core which is a bit of different story...generally in the case of multiple cores one core will require more vcore to maintain higher stability than the other so they are dependant on it other as each core is engineered differently, but a single core, is just that, a single core, and finding and acheiving its plateau is much easier

Now then, if you mean to say that CPU-Z is reporting your vcore at 1.6vcore that is fine and is probably your max, but if you have manually assigned 1.6vcore in the BIOS settings you're probably in some trouble at you also have to take into considering CPU Special VID control which will generally translate 1.6vcore into 1.65-1.7v depending on what it's set at

I would also recommend you do some modifications and get some air blowing over your mosfets, even if 70C is the maximum threshold you have to remember that the PWM IC controls all the voltage going through your board therefore the cooler you keep it the better...plus considering it only have a microsink on it, the temperature is just going to slowly rise under load

gaara said:
Well he has a single core which is a bit of different story...generally in the case of multiple cores one core will require more vcore to maintain higher stability than the other so they are dependant on it other as each core is engineered differently, but a single core, is just that, a single core, and finding and acheiving its plateau is much easier

Now then, if you mean to say that CPU-Z is reporting your vcore at 1.6vcore that is fine and is probably your max, but if you have manually assigned 1.6vcore in the BIOS settings you're probably in some trouble at you also have to take into considering CPU Special VID control which will generally translate 1.6vcore into 1.65-1.7v depending on what it's set at

I would also recommend you do some modifications and get some air blowing over your mosfets, even if 70C is the maximum threshold you have to remember that the PWM IC controls all the voltage going through your board therefore the cooler you keep it the better...plus considering it only have a microsink on it, the temperature is just going to slowly rise under load
hey gaara thx for the reply. ya the cpu voltage is from cpuz. since it loses about 0.02v from BIOS. i know dual core wont OC much compared to single core. i just didnt realize he had the single core. im thinking to buy more fans. if the PWMIC stays cooler im gonna be so happy w what i got.

no it dont think 1.6v is to high i have put as hi as 1.67 to my dud as.ss chip trying to go beyond 1881mhz but, so yea im selling it... but i think 1.7 would be it. i wouldnt go anyfurhter than that. especially for a expensive chip like urs

burned-ati said:
no it dont think 1.6v is to high i have put as hi as 1.67 to my dud as.ss chip trying to go beyond 1881mhz but, so yea im selling it... but i think 1.7 would be it. i wouldnt go anyfurhter than that. especially for a expensive chip like urs
cool thx for the advive. i thought dual core socket 939 cant hundle more than 1.65 or so??
anyway, its just my PWMIC temp is high...thats what im worried about. i need more fans...more noise..

boomstick666 said:
i know dual core wont OC much compared to single core..
Are you kidding? At 1.525v, I can overclock my 165 by 1GHz prime stable. ANYWAY, I wouldn't go much higher than 1.6v on dual core.

on AMD64's in general the absolute max I'd go is 1.65........although I've personally pushed it to about 1.7 or so I wouldn't recommend it. Not that I'm in anyway saying I'm 'better' or anything, if anything you could deduce I'm just dumber :p

Anywho, with the memory controllers being ondie, with too much voltage, even if cooled, it can infact fry memory controllers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom