My 'Workstation' build

Status
Not open for further replies.
The price of the 7800GT dropping to $250? Don't think so.

As for the motherboard, it comes down to getting the one you want. The DFI Lanparty nF4 Ultra-D is a more complicated, over-clocking oriented motherboard, and is often picky with it's parts. The MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum, on the other hand, has none of those quirks. Its very user-friendly, with a nice, simple BIOS, and vitually no pickiness. Personally, even though I'm a relatively heavy overclocker, I'd go for the MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum. I suppose you get some bragging rights with the DFI, but if you aeren't OC'ing too much, no need to go with the DFI.

There IS a MSI motherboard with SLI (and its one of the best motherboard out there, even beating DFI in overclocking), but its $200+.

I have no idea about the Slots' compatibility, but I seriously doubt that you can use one as another since a PCI-E x16 slot is about 3x longer than a PCI-E x4 slot...

Hmm ya, turns out the Ultra D isn't really an SLi board.. good thing I paid attion to that. I'll be going with the MSI, tho I read in some reviews I'll likely need a better chipset cooler to OC a lot. That's fine, I planned on upgrading the cooling a little after getting it.

Thinking about getting an Artic Sliencer for the 7800GT, and I'm wondering if this chipset cooler would fit in place of the fan, or if I'll just have to get it and find out when I have the comp. Other wise suggestions for a chipset cooler would be cool.

Thanks again... finally getting a solid time when I get my money to buy the comp... Late Febuary :( hopefully prices stay in my favor)

macdude425 said:
There IS no such thing as a 7900 GT/X.
yet....

the DFI NF4 Ultra-D does support SLI I believe, however it will run the cards at 16X/2X PCI-E.
one of the cards being at PCI-E 2X is a bit restricting although PCI-E 2X is almost as fast as AGP 8X

you could always mod the Ultra-D to an SLI-D by putting a bit of pencil between 2 contacts though

apokalipse said:
you could always mod the Ultra-D to an SLI-D by putting a bit of pencil between 2 contacts though

I heard they fixed that bug... Changed something to where it wasn't that easy anymore

I'd highly recommend an MSI K8N socket939 series motherboard. I own one and it rocks. I think I have the platinum bios, and it has everything that you need to make a stable overclock. It simply rocks.

The reason I think I have the platinum bios is because when it boots, it says, "Platinum," With a pretty silvery picture. If everyone else's Neo4-F does that too, let me know.

Ryan

Flanker, you do have a valid point, but you are missing out on the fact that the 7900 series is going to DOUBLE performance over the 7800 series. You are stupid if you don't take this into consideration. Its going to be another jump like what we saw going from the FX to the 6800 series.

Would you have told somebody to get an FX 5950 in April of 2004 when the 6800 GT was right around the corner that was more than double the performance? Its the same deal now, and yes, the 7800 GT will get you probably another year at 1024x768 resolution, maybe not max settings but at least medium, but for higher settings and a res of at least 1280x1024, you are going to NEED a 7900 series or better.

uhoh now im worried... well, if I'd have to buy my PC right now, should I just go for the GT? Well obviously, but would I last with UT 2007?

beedubaya said:
Flanker, you do have a valid point, but you are missing out on the fact that the 7900 series is going to DOUBLE performance over the 7800 series. You are stupid if you don't take this into consideration. Its going to be another jump like what we saw going from the FX to the 6800 series.

Calling BS on that. 7900 doubling the performance of 7800? I don't care how many pipes it has, not gonna happen. Where do you get this crap?

And like I've said before, he can't afford the 7900 anyway. Its not like he's going to replace a $300 videocard with a $550 videocard. Thought about that?

IMO (keep that in mind please) feel that it would be best to skip this next generation of vid cards (71,72,73 and such) and just get the g80. I would even get a 6600gt just to make sure that i have enough money saved up even though it isn't a whole lot of money between the 256mb 6600gt and the 6800gs (if im not mistaken). If the performance gap is this large between the 70 and 71 series, imagine how much more of a gap the g80 will put between any of those cards.

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=4343

If you currently have a GeForce 6 or 7 series card, yes its best to skip this generation, but the G80 will be a good upgrade for anybody except for those who jump on the 7900GTX bandwagon. The 7900GTX and G80 cards will be the preferred cards for UT2007 and Far Cry 2. I don't care what Flanker says, we wont be maxing out UT2007 on 6800GTs or even 7800GTs.

A 6800 Ultra is the minimum for decent play at 1024x768 for crying out loud. I'm sorry Flanker but you over-estimate today's hardware and you GREATLY underestimate the demands of future games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom