Dual Core or higher single core?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nirvana89

In Runtime
Alright, for gaming ofcourse, which would be better?

First of all, I have a side question. Why is it that I can't find any Venice or San Diego dual core's on newegg (didn't check other sites)?

Anyway, would dual core (such as this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103546 - ) be better than a really good single core processor such as....

this...(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103529)?

I've heard people say that dual core really helps multi-tasking and not gaming. I think that the dual core has to be much better. Would it also be better than AMD's $800-900 FX's? I would really love to have one of those but...800 bucks.

Ok, actually right now i recommend just holding off on buy ur new cpu now, and wait until socket m2 comes out, get a dual core, and buy some DDR2 ram.

id go for dual core too, thas actually wut im getting for my future comp, actually thas in like a few weeks. i mean just imagine minimizing ur games like BF2 and then chat on msn, and change the song on ur windows media player, and then maximize ur game bak on, doing all that with no lag. its so sweet just thinkin bout it. lol

123Justin said:
id go for dual core too, thas actually wut im getting for my future comp, actually thas in like a few weeks. i mean just imagine minimizing ur games like BF2 and then chat on msn, and change the song on ur windows media player, and then maximize ur game bak on, doing all that with no lag. its so sweet just thinkin bout it. lol
its off the topic but i was always wondering about this. ppl talk about multi tasking and be able to switch apps w no wait or lag and stuff...is it a new thing for windows pc? im a long time mac user and since OSX came out, multi tasking is not a problem at all on mac. so i never even thought about it. cuz its always smooth no lag with lots of apps open. its been like this for a couple of years now. (mb about 3-4 years?) dual cpu is around for quite while, too. (well, not dual core.. but at least its better than single cpu for mac) + my G5 supports 8G of dual channel RAM (its still capable of more ram) compared to 3G max for windows...and i just built my first PC a month ago. and i really feel how good mac and osx are built. im not bashing windows pc. dont get me wrong. i like pc cuz i can build it and i really like OC'ing its fun and games! but windows feels and looks like its just the early 90' technology w/ xp graphix on top of it...(even xp looks really bad compared to osx...fonts and stuff looks cheap...) only thing i dont like about mac is no games...3D sucks on mac + no building macs...there used to be able to make 1 w/power computing but no more.. sorry for off the topic post but just a thought...

if you were going to get a dual core and plan on OC, i would suggest a opteron 165. from what i have read here and on other forums this is best due to a high OC rating, and just performance all round.
ClickME
yes i know the price keeps rising, i got mine for 33 bones cheaper, a week and a half ago. (im still waitin for my ram so i cant say from experiance..i plan on posting my OC results here, as it will be my first build&OC :D )

definately get the X2 4400+
where the single 4000+ wins, it doesn't win by all that much (single threading)
when the X2 4400+ wins, it will nearly double the single 4000+

and while current games do not support multithreading, future games will.
Unreal Tournament 2007, based on the Unreal3 engine, will be a multithreading game, and benefit a lot from dual core CPU's
and you can expect more games to support dual core CPU's especially in 2007

also, if you're planning ahead, you will need at least a smartshader 3.0 video card.
the unreal 3 engine is built to use SM 3.0.
if it is run on a card without it, performance will not be all that great.
and you can expect other games will be the same aswell.

yeah sorry guys for not checking for "dual core or single" threads.

So, apok, I remember that me and you went through a lot of messages to put 2gether a pc last summer. If I get this X2 I'm concerned about a few things:

1) Since I can't find any Venice or San Diego, would it be wise to OC it? 2) I'm thinking the 7800 GTX...is that good enough for the X2? 3) Motherboard...does everyone agree that I should wait for the m2 and is that SLI?

I'm not going to be too concerned about what to get and making sure everything is compatible right now b/c I might not the money until the end of this summer.

Info on why you want dual

You would want to go dual and the brand you picked out can reach FX-60 levels with little heat increase so you made a good choice there. As for a video card a 7800GT is most cost efficiant now but if you want a GTX go right ahead and get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom