New Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozeepat

Solid State Member
It has been a while since I built a computer so I am not sure of some things. For instance, can I hook up just the power supply and turn on the power to see if the anything such as the lights,fan etc.are working without installing any thing else or does the cpu and/or memory have to be installed? The reason I am asking is that I tried that and so far nothing. The case and board was one I bought for my daughter and when her husband went to move it it sparked and wouldn't boot again. I just went out and bought a her new case and mother board and chip since I didn't know what got cooked and installed all the other things from the old computer so she wouldn't be without a computer until I figured what was wrong and if it could be fixed. Anyway since then I sent the chip back and AMD honored the warranty and sent me a new one so I know I have a good cpu but I am not sure if the mother board and or the case switch got fried so before I complete the whole installation and find out nothing works, I want to know if the motor will turn on without anything else being installed. I know that is a lot of explaining but I want to be sure I was clear on what I want to know.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
Pat

well i'm not sure if you can test fans or anything on just a motherboard to see if it's working, a safer yet more difficult alternative is to get parts that would work on your mobo, somehow like from someone you know to test which part is working. There is a major possibility that it was your motherboard though, the ratio of fried mobos is higher than CPU's.

i tested my fans befor installing most of the inards
just plug each fan into its respective outlet and turn on the power supply...
if thats a no-no somebody please tell me........

Most ATX power supplies won't turn on without a load (in other words, you need a otherboard plugged in). If you have a processor and a speaker attached (note-- some motherboards have integrated speakers), then powering on should result in a POST beep code for no or fualty memory. That will give you a good indication that the PSU, Processor and motherboard aren't completely dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom