Computer worked for five minutes and then died.

Status
Not open for further replies.
cedjunior said:
Man Alive.

Ok first of all, how much of your pc is put togther? What components have you installed?

First thing you need to do is plug plug in the 20/24 pin connector and the 4 pin 12 volt connector. Plug in the power supply and turn it on with the switch in the back. Does the power indicating LED turn on? If not then its most likely a dead psu. If it does turn on, then it still could possibly be the psu, or something else.

Uhh thats not always true. If the power led fails to turn on, does not mean his PSU is busted.

Also wouldent this thread be hilarious if the guy has his computer plugged into a socket that is controlled by a switch, or if he knocked the power cord out of the wall??????

I get a green led light on my mobo when i switch on the power supply. All i have currently hooked up to the psu and the motherboard is my ram, processor, and heatsink. Both power cables are connected to the motherboard. If left off long enough, the case fans make meager attempts to spin but do not..

Wait..... I did not install the 3 pin fan cord from the psu.... That is most likely what ****ed the psu up!

Depends. My power supply has a 3 pin fan connection, but its only for keeping track of the fan RPM, the fan will run with out it plugged in.

Which part?

Are the cords that came with the case labeled "1394" and "ac 94" important things to plug in?

the 1394 cable is to your firewire hookup on the case and I am guessing that the ac94 is for the audio jacks on your case. Those cables are not important.

Does the motherboard's bios need a processor in it to boot? I am hoping not because above all else, i hope my cpu did not die. Let me describe what happened to my pc and what was installed at the time in more description:

I had the mobo installed into the case with the graphics card, sound card, ram, cd rom drive, hard drive, front panel usb, back panel usb, processor, heatsink, the 24 pin power connector, and the 12 v power connector installed. I also had the heatsink's fan connector hooked up to the cpu fan slot. I was able to turn the pc on and off multiple times in a short period of time. During each all of the above devices were detected as well as all of my ram and devices. During one particular boot i decided to install windows. I got as far as partitioning the hard drive at 14 percent done when the computer just shut off. It has not turned back on since. I even removed everything but the ram, processor, heatsink, and power connectors to no avail. There is only a green light on the mobo. Does the above description help at all?

If you cant get the PSU to start with the paper clip in it, the PSU is most likely dead. Get another PSU if you have one lying around, or take one out of an old machine, and only hook up the bare minimum. Don't worry about case fans, optical drives, or extra cards. If the PC boots, your good to go, and you know that the PSU is truly dead.

But I had a problem similar to this when I replaced the Mobo in my system. I put everything back as it should be, hit the power switch, and nothing. So I did the paper clip test, and sure enough the PSU was working fine, so I thought great, I got a faulty motherboard. But that was not the case. It turns out that I accidently put one of the motherboard standoffs in the wrong place and forgot about it, not to mention the fact that a lot of them were stipped and made it so I could tighten the board down, and it was grounding out the board. So I bought a new Antec case, and sure enough nothing was wrong and the PC booted fine. I guess thats the price you pay if you buy a cheap case.

So make sure you didnt leave any extras screws or standoffs under the motherboard. And make sure that board is tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom