My 'Workstation' build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't take Flanker too seriously. He blows a lot of hot air. Just because it is longer and louder doesn't mean it's more credible. I really wouldn't indulge on the video card right now. He's ignoring the fact that you're buying a video card on the back end of it's "top-of-the-line-ness", if you will. It's about to be replaced. Patience is a virtue. If you were doing this about 3 or 4 months ago, I'dve said, sure, go for it. But the release of the new round of video cards IS really looming over us. Either way, you're going to be diappointed. Whether it be by falling prices, or if it's because you wanted the better card. I'm trying to help you not get screwed out of a few bucks.

Ryan

I know Irish, I sure as **** want to get the most out of my money... I'm likely to get the 7800GT unless something new comes out by the end of Feb. If not perhaps I should nab a 6800GS, or even just a 6600GT... But I'm more likely to go w/ the 7800GT. However if I could cut it down to a 6800GS I could throw another $100 at something else.

FghtinIrshNvrDi said:
Don't take Flanker too seriously. He blows a lot of hot air. Just because it is longer and louder doesn't mean it's more credible. I really wouldn't indulge on the video card right now. He's ignoring the fact that you're buying a video card on the back end of it's "top-of-the-line-ness", if you will. It's about to be replaced. Patience is a virtue. If you were doing this about 3 or 4 months ago, I'dve said, sure, go for it. But the release of the new round of video cards IS really looming over us. Either way, you're going to be diappointed. Whether it be by falling prices, or if it's because you wanted the better card. I'm trying to help you not get screwed out of a few bucks.

Ryan

Blows a lot of hot air? Hah! Its people like you who pretend to know what you're talking about but end up contradicting yourselves every step of the way.

7800GT at the end of it's Top-of-the-line-ness? What're you smoking? Its the second best videocard out right now. And do you think that G71 (GeForce 7900GT/X) will be $300? Dream on. There will always be a $300 videocard, and it will always be second-best. If thats all you can afford, then thats what you get. The longer you wait, the better the card gets. But then the question becomes, how long do you wait? There will ALWAYS be something better.

As much as I hate to admit it, I agree with everything "Flanker" has said in this thread...

holy crap... I need to get my head examined... j/k Flanker... good advice.

Flanker said:
7800GT at the end of it's Top-of-the-line-ness? What're you smoking? Its the second best videocard out right now. And do you think that G71 (GeForce 7900GT/X) will be $300? Dream on. There will always be a $300 videocard, and it will always be second-best. If thats all you can afford, then thats what you get. The longer you wait, the better the card gets. But then the question becomes, how long do you wait? There will ALWAYS be something better.

Yeah, it is at the end of it's being a glory card. It's called patience my friend, and you don't have it. I don't think you understand how it works. When there is a new card breathing down our backs, you don't go buy the present one. Are you a fool? That's like when windows XP was days away from being released, and you go buy Windows ME. It's stupid. If you really WANT Windows ME, you may as well wait a week for the price to drop. I don't see how you can tell yourself that you're making any sense.

Yeah, there's always a card in R&D being made for the next generation. The problem here, Flanker, is that these cards aren't even in R&D anymore. They're entering production to be released.

Ryan

Sorry Flanker, but I'm going to disagree here.

Granted, there is some truth to what you said. There will always be a new card and waiting a year is stupid. But were are talking months here...A new one is just around the corner. Besides, the Geforce series isn't geared for rendering. You will benefit a lot more if you allocate your money elsewhere.

Like fight said, I would wait for a new card. If you REALLY want a top end card now, I guess you could aim for a Radeon X1900 XT/ XTX.

nezzari said:
Besides, the Geforce series isn't geared for rendering.

This is true. The "Quadro Series" is geared towards rendering.

Yet, both cards are very similar in hardware. The main difference's between the two cards are "Drivers & Firmware". The Quadro Series is optimized for precision while the GeForce Series is optimized for performance. The Quardo Series cost substancially more the the Geforce Series.

The GeForce Series can render just as well as the Quadro series.
And if price is a big factor for you, the the GeForce series will more then get the job done.

FghtinIrshNvrDi said:
Yeah, it is at the end of it's being a glory card. It's called patience my friend, and you don't have it. I don't think you understand how it works. When there is a new card breathing down our backs, you don't go buy the present one. Are you a fool? That's like when windows XP was days away from being released, and you go buy Windows ME. It's stupid. If you really WANT Windows ME, you may as well wait a week for the price to drop. I don't see how you can tell yourself that you're making any sense.

Yeah, there's always a card in R&D being made for the next generation. The problem here, Flanker, is that these cards aren't even in R&D anymore. They're entering production to be released.

Ryan

So you're saying that in a few days the 7800GT won't be playing games at max settings anymore? You ARE smoking something. When the G71 comes out, there will be another card breathing down out backs. You know what its called? The G72 and G73. And after that, we have GeForce 8 waiting around the corner. Theres the 7800GT right now, and the G71 in a few months. And after the G71, we'll have G72 in another few weeks. Are you going to say not to buy the G71 because the G72 is here? I hope not. Besides, what makes you think that the G71 is going to be $300? He's looking for a $300 videocard, and the G71 is going to be $550-ish. See a difference there? If he had that much money he could just SLI 2 7800GTs.

Granted, there is some truth to what you said. There will always be a new card and waiting a year is stupid. But were are talking months here...A new one is just around the corner. Besides, the Geforce series isn't geared for rendering. You will benefit a lot more if you allocate your money elsewhere.

I'm not saying to wait a year. If the G71 is coming out in a few months, G72 and G73 are going to be even closer. And GeForce 8 is already in R&D.

Basically, Its pointless. If you wait a month or two for G71 (Which he can't afford anyays, so I don't know what the f*ck you're on) another card will be closer than the G71 is right now. It all depends on how long you can wait to get a videocard. Ofcourse it'll be better, but there will always be something even better around the corner. Swallow it and but the 7800GT right now and be happy with it, it'll last you a year with high settings.

I think you totally missed my point about how when cards are introduced, there's a general price drop. I really don't have any retorts to your speech though. There's really no valid points I haven't already covered. New cards RIGHT around the corner. Prices generally drop... I'm not sure what you're saying besides saying a totally clean guy is smoking stuff.

Ryan

Haha.. how about Flanker and Fightin' Irish duke it out to the death and the winner choses what I get.

But, really, with the exception of a possible price drop, I'm with Flanker on this. I know a friend who boughta x850xt pe instead of a G7800GTX... I'm not going to make a stupid mistake like that, but I don't think the 7800GT will drop much when the G71's come out anyway so I'll get it if it's a bit cheaper or I'll suffer the loss of at max $50 for rushing.

ON another note, I'm leaning to the MSI that Flanker posted, tho I still have the desire for SLi (even tho I'm likely never to use it...) And seeing as there's no Lanparty DFi w/o SLi I was wondering if it's worth $15 to go from a 'top' MSI board for the low-end DFi...

DFi
MSI

I doubt I'll ever get another card for SLi, but can't you use a 4x pcie as a 1x pcie and a 16x as a 4 and 1 pcie? So is it worth it, or is it just come down to picking the best looking one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom