2 power supplies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reggie_da_man

Fully Optimized
I was wondering, if you had 2 kind of cheap power supplies say each having 18amp on the +12V rail and a power hungry card like a 7800GTX would it be possible to devote one power supply to everything in your system and the other just to the video card?

You would have to mod it in some way. All of the PSU's ive tested need to be plugged into the MOBO for all of the molex connecters to get any juice.

It would be much easier to buy one beastly PSU and not have to deal with opening one up to change the wiring, and safer too.

you only have to connect two pins on the psu 20 - 24 pin connector to turn it on but there comes thr problem of both psus turning on at the same time you dont want the psu running the graphics to start up last.

google how to test a PSU w/out the motherboard. there's a way you can connect some pins with some wires (real vague, i know) to allow the PSU to run without being plugged in. maybe itd be useful? personally, i think it'd be easier to buy one good psu also

found it on TF. Taken from another thread:

uzi9mm said:
ok try this....

Take your PSU out. Take a paperclip and hook it up to the green wire port on the mobo power connector to any black wire port on the same connector.

Hook up some fans and some other stuff. Plug it in, and flip the switch, it it does not power anything, your PSU is dead. If it does work, your mobo could be dead or shorting out on something.

yah thanks molsen thats it i know the black wire but i was not shure of if it was green or blue for the second good googleing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom