What is the difference between ADSL and DSL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhys

Baseband Member
Hi, i want to go from adsl to "dsl" and i was wondering if there is any difference between the two. I have a D-Link 504 ADSL router and want to know if i can use it for "DSL".

This is messing with me cos my isp calls it adsl and another i've seen offers "dsl" :(

yes you can. they are almost all Adsl. the only thing you should worry about is what the max upload and download speed is for each DSL package they have

DSL -- (Digital Subscriber Line) - A method for moving data over regular phone lines. A DSL circuit is much faster than a regular phone connection, and the wires coming into the subscriber's premises are the same (copper) wires used for regular phone service. A DSL circuit must be configured to connect two specific locations, similar to a leased line (howeverr a DSL circuit is not a leased line. A common configuration of DSL allows downloads at speeds of up to 1.544 megabits (not megabytes) per second, and uploads at speeds of 128 kilobits per second. This arrangement is called ADSL: Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line. Another common configuration is symmetrical: 384 Kilobits per second in both directions. In theory ADSL allows download speeds of up to 9 megabits per second and upload speeds of up to 640 kilobits per second. DSL is now a popular alternative to Leased Lines and ISDN, being faster than ISDN and less costly than traditional Leased Lines. See also: ADSL, Bandwidth, ISDN, Leased Line, SDSL

thanks alot m8. this really helps, and it is DSL 512 kb/s with... UNLIMITED DOWNLOADS :) for a extremely reasonable price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom