Computer worked for five minutes and then died.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any other way of testing? When i turn the psu's switch on, an led on my motherboard lights up. But when i go to actually turn the pc on it does not boot.

Before the computer conked out the psu would not power the fans. I had to install normal power cords to the fans to get them to work properly. Maybe that is a sign? Is there a way to test if the mobo is still okay?

You have to be patient and troubleshoot in a logical manner.
First..... List all your sys. components in your profile( so they show at the bottom of your post)..... like the other posters in this thread.
Your system was up & running, then something happened; could be almost anything. So you have to try to isolate the problem.
2nd......... I would try to just POST with 'barebones' components...... mobo, video card, only 1 stick of Ram, no drives.
If you have a 'D-bracket' connector for diagnostics, plug it in......... @ led failure test.
Listen for the # audio beeps, check what the screen says, and check leds, if you have the bracket.
* take your time.

I just unplugged everything from the mobo except for the psu. The system still would not boot. I decided to connect a converter to the 12 pin power cord to enable it to boot my old computer. I plugged it into the old pc with the psu in the on position, and lo and behold! it did not work. Isn't this obviously indicative of a faulty psu? I also took a paper clip and took one end and stuck it into the green part of the power cord, and the other i put into one of the black sockets. Then i attempted to boot the power supply, and guess what? It would not boot! The fact that it ran initially at a cpu temperature of 38 degrees celcius and displayed that everything was working fine is obviously a sign that the psu is messed. Wasn't the hooking the psu to another pc a sure fire way of seeing what the problem is? The computer detected all drives finely and without problems, so...

If this is still not the case, then perhaps i was supposed to apply thermal paste to the heat sink instead of assuming the silver. removable surface on the heatsink was a thermal pad. Can anyone confirm whether or not the processor in my sig comes with a thermal pad on the bottom?

Also, i found it hard to push the heatsink's clip forward to lock it into place. It finally snapped in, but the clip bent to the side as if tremendous pressure was being exerted on it.

When i first hooked up the heatsink's fan i plugged it into the case's fan slot. After getting an error message i quickly switched the plug into the right slot. Could that have perhaps messed the cpu up? I was able to boot afterwards, so....

**** If the cpu or mobo was to blame then why did i see no errors when i initially booted to the bios? I fixed the heat sink's wiring much before the computer crapped out. I even got as far as installing windows xp when the cpu just cut off.

Man Alive.

Ok first of all, how much of your pc is put togther? What components have you installed?

First thing you need to do is plug plug in the 20/24 pin connector and the 4 pin 12 volt connector. Plug in the power supply and turn it on with the switch in the back. Does the power indicating LED turn on? If not then its most likely a dead psu. If it does turn on, then it still could possibly be the psu, or something else.

Disconnect everything from the psu and motherboard except the 2 connections mentioned above, leaving only the processor/heatsink and the memory on the motherboard. You don't need the video card because we're only trying to establish that the motherboard is getting power. Hit the power button and the fan on the cpu heatsink should turn on and stay on. If it doesn't work then, you'll have to try a different psu to see if that was the problem.

If it does work then install the video card and plug in the monitor, turn it back on and see if you can get to the BIOS. If it turns on and goes to the BIOS then keep installing each part and booting up the computer to make sure it works. This is to eliminate each part as the cause of your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom