9600xt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merkwürdigeliebe

Benevolent Cake Despot
I've finally found the ideal speeds for my modified 9600XT. It's 560 Mhz for core and 660 Mhz for the memory clock (560/660). Initially, it was 500/600. But see, what I don't understand is how this card, which is just plain sub-mediocre compared to the 6800s and 7800s out there, is actually running faster in terms of the gpu speed. The card jas 4 pipeline architecture, as opposed to the 12, 14, 16, 18 and 24 that some of the more advanced, pricier cards have. Yet I've only seen those cards running at 350 Mhz to 450 Mhz core. How come this outdated card of mine, the 9600XT has a higher speed? It doesn't even run close to as well as any of the more advanced cards. Can someone explain this?

btw, I know for example that some of the more advanced cards have more features (such as SM 3.0) or higher memory clockings, but what I'm asking about is solely for raw gpu processing power.

edit:
here's a shot to show you guys the clockings. Take into mind that the memory clocking indicated is pre-effective, so it should be double whatever is indicated in ATi Tool. Also, you might see the temperature jumping up and stuff but that's only cuz I put it into performace settings from resting settings, but I'll tell you that usually, when at 560/660, the temp under heavy load is about 40 C.

9600xt.jpg

all those pipelines on the new cards and the number of operations they can do per clock cycle is HUGE compared to your 4 pipeline setup. It's no wonder that they're kicking your card's tail. I don't know the specifics, but 8 pipelines (with the same type of core and clock) would do twice the work of a 4 pipeline setup. Clock speed is merely the frequency at which they communicate.

Ryan

FghtinIrshNvrDi said:
all those pipelines on the new cards and the number of operations they can do per clock cycle is HUGE compared to your 4 pipeline setup. It's no wonder that they're kicking your card's tail. I don't know the specifics, but 8 pipelines (with the same type of core and clock) would do twice the work of a 4 pipeline setup. Clock speed is merely the frequency at which they communicate.

Ryan

That's what I was thinking. Thanks for the response.

Then I have another question to throw at you. I'm considering voltmodding this card. I'm not too afraid of burning it out cuz i've been looking to replace it and I have a temp card to replace it. Voltmodding will control higher frequency gpu speeds and allow more stability, but it'll create a lot of heat too. What is the max amount of heat on both idle and on load that this RV360-based chip could handle before having heat-based artifact conflict?

I can answer your question better. Most of the newer cards such as the 7800s have a 90nm process chip. W/ that they can either lower the speeds or do what theyve been doing, raise the speeds and it will be even slower than the 130(?)nm process gpu that you have. Also, i believe the X1900XT has a core clock of 650mhz.
EDIT: Are you sure its an R-360 chip? My 9800XT is using a R-360 chip.

yea i see the fps there on your 3dview mine reads 374+ fps, and the 7800gtx indeed slaughters my video card, so yea....

thanks P.P. you know how to put it to words way better than me. I retain the information, but can't regurgitate it worth a crap.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom