Opinions on this setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mercury429

Beta member
Hey, I'd like to know if I'm getting the most out of this setup or if I can make it more efficient:

CPU: AMD ATHLON 64BIT X2 4800 1MB L2 Cache
RAM: 2048 MB DDR400 PC3200
MotherBoard: ASUS A8N-SLI SE: DUAL DDR, S-ATA, 2 x x16 VGA, 3 PCI
SLi Graphics Card: 2 x 256MB GEFORCE 7800 GTX PCI Express

I've heard a lot of games aren't optimized for an SLi configuration and as a result it's a waste of time and money. Is this true? or will I see a performance boost in having two graphics cards over one?

You will have a performance boost. However, it's definetly not cost efficient. If you have the money to spare, go for it I guess. But it's overkill, especially with a 7800 GTX. For the most part though, that's a real top notch build. What PSU are you going with?

SLI makes no sense at the moment, so avoid SLI boards and SLI setups. Few games really benefit and some even perform worse than single card configuarations. If you have that cash, buy a X1900XTX when they are released tomorow. They have more power than a 7800GTX 512, and should be typically cheaper, even at launch

Your CPU is also a bad idea, go with the Athlon 64 x2 4400+, which has the same caches as the 4800+, and then overclock it by 200mhz. That will give you 4800+ performance, and save you a lot of cash (~$150 to be exact). However, going with the Opteron 165 and overclocking that is an excellent idea too. Your choice.

For your memory, make sure you get solid stuff that is OCable.

Your motherboard is great, but DFI is best known for OCing.

PSU is a 550W DUAL RAIL , 120mm fan with an extra CPU Cooler

If I buy an SLi configuration now I'm planning to keep this rig for at least 3-4 years before upgrading. Surely SLi will mean my systems more future proof than a single card? I'm not sure whether to go with SLi or just slash out on a good sound card and a 7.1 surround sound set up.

Could you post a link to your PSU? We need to see the AMP's on the rails, not just voltage and "dual rail"

I would say buy an sli mobo now, but only one video card. That way you can add another one in the future when it actually helps enough to make it worth the cost.

PS- They have an awsome deal at newegg right now. Buy a X2 4800 (or X2 4400) and an 7800GTX and save $100.

Mercury429 said:
PSU is a 550W DUAL RAIL , 120mm fan with an extra CPU Cooler

If I buy an SLi configuration now I'm planning to keep this rig for at least 3-4 years before upgrading. Surely SLi will mean my systems more future proof than a single card? I'm not sure whether to go with SLi or just slash out on a good sound card and a 7.1 surround sound set up.
If you want to do SLi later, do it, but right now, there is NO use unless you are planning to use rediculous resolutions in games.

Yeah thanks. I actually saw that thread about 30 seconds after I'd made my post. I guess I should really read the stickies before rushing into things or I just come off as a noob :(

Sorry for a double post but thanks for all the help and I've made an informed decision and in hindsight I think it's the correct one. These are my updated specs:

AMD ATHLON 64BIT X2 4800 1MB L2 Cache
2048 MB DDR400 PC3200 RAM
ASUS A8N-SLI SE: DUAL DDR, S-ATA, 2 x x16 VGA, 3 PCI (so I can upgrade to SLi at a later date, if I want)
512MB RADEON X1900XTX PCI Express

I then use the left over cash to buy:

SoundBlaster X-FI Extreme Music 7.1
CREATIVE INSPIRE 7.1 T7900 Speaker System
New Keyboard

and it still works out cheaper. Sound good? :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom