Weird message coming on during BF2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petryshen

Solid State Member
Everytime i load up bf2 i get this message in the background of the usb hub has exceded its power limits, I had to get a new usb board installed because all my onboard had died and coulnt be picked up

AMD athlon xp 3000+barton
ati x850 xt
Asus A7V8X-LA / A7V8X-MX SE
some 400w psu that came with the case

Would getting a new psu solve this problem of it popping up everytime im in bf2?

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=1/2120475740.jpg&s=x4

Usually you get this error when the hub has too much pluged into it.Do you have a hub? And if so does it have power to it?

well if u looked at picture i would have a hub, but i dont know if it has to much plugged in, but would easiest way out just to buy a new psu with 550watts ??

Newegg didn't include enough information to look it up...

If you look on the big sticker on your Power supply (could be on the back of the case, or maybe on the side behind one of the case's side panels), tell us how many amps are @ the +12v rail.

i looked on the psu and theres 17amps on the +12v rail, and yes my computer guy installed a pci card, hopefully this is neough to solve the problem

Reinstall the drivers for that card or change slots. You are having a PCI bandwidth issue. You should go into your device manager and check what is running in the IRQ for that PCI usb hub. If it is possible for that device, I would definitely run it in DMA mode and take some pull off your CPU.

17A is NOT enough!

Some of your components are probably not even running to potential right now!

18A is the recommended MINIMUM for a system similar to yours... without that powerful graphics card.

Factor in the fact that you have CD/DVD drives, Hard drives, fans, and switches, the graphics card, USB hub, and internal motherboard devices all sharing the current on the 12V+ rail!

A while back, I couldn't start this system on a 450watt 18A psu, and that was with a lesser graphics card and no sound card.

Whether or not your USB issue is a problem of the power supply or not, you DEFINATELY need to look into a new one!

To test though... :
- Unplug any unnecissary 12v devices. These would be your CD/DVD drives (minues the one with the BF2 disk), extra HDs, FANS, PCI devices.
- Start her up, case open to compenasate for loss of fans, and see is you're still getting that error.

Regardless, that 17A@12v+ is an issue.

EDIT::: I just read over this thread again and realized you probably never opened up a case before. The 12v power connections, to all of your devices looks like this:
http://joelsgadgets.com/LEDHELP/Molaxhelp.jpg

However, the ones to your fans may look like like a 3wired one too, just follow the cord comming from the fans and dissconnect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom