Mobile processor on a desktop board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lloydbro

Solid State Member
I have an Athlon XP M2800 mobile processor which I want to put into an Epox EP-81KRAIPRO (KT880) Mboard - which I also have.

Will this processor run "as is" or do I need to adjust the board's bios to get the most (or anything at all) out of it. I haven't looked into it yet but I understand that the board is favorable for this mobile chip and configurable many ways to overclock to meet best performance. I understand this has been done before - this processor and this board but the necessary bios adjustments are not available to me.

I've set up a few mboards so I will likely understand how to do this, but havent intentionally o'clocked anything to date... Do I just crank up bus and voltage until it is unstable then back off? What is the safest parameter to play with? (I"M using Win XP)

Many thanks.

The mobile chips are flatter if I'm not mistaken.
Don't believe they are. I've had the 2400+ XP and the 2400+ XP-M and I never noticed any difference between flatness.

the Abit NF7-S v2 or one of the DFI infinity series boards I think are the best OC'ing boards for those mobile chips though. Never had any experience with an Epox board so I can't really comment on it

one of the guys on here had a mobile, and the core of the thing didn't reach the heatsink... that's the reason I came up with that...

Ryan

The OCing on the Epox board is decent. I have one with my Athlon, but it's a cheaper board so don't expect much.

Wouldn't you want to automatically decrease the voltage first? Don't those CPUs use a lot less voltage?

Thanks again for the answers - some good info for me. But: Lower the voltage? I don't know and that is exactly what I am asking. Lower, higher, more or less? Voltage? Buss? Can anyone tell me what to adjust and how much would be reasonable?

The Epox board...not my first choice, but it is what I have.

Thanks Ryan, I will definitely check out the thickness.

Many thanks again,

Just put the processor in like normal. Don't worry about the voltage. It should run just fine, because even if mobiles do use less voltage, you'll be taking to that voltage later as you're overclocking.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom