Usb!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crysalis

Systems Engineer
Hey guys. Just built a new system... AMD Athlon 64 3200+ with a gig of 3200, gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 (mobo).

I cannot get any of my flash drives working. They are recognized... they install fine, they show up in device manager, disk management and i can access them if i type in their drive letter, but they do not show up in windows XP. I can't format them, I can't do anything. I see that they are connected. XP shows that they are connected, but not in "my computer". I have tried starting and stopping all USB related services... i have checked BIOS 3 times. I did microsofts registry edit and no fix there either.

WHATS GOING ON!? This is not an uncommon problem i guess because i got tons of pages of help (Which didn't help)... happens to alot of people...they end up fixing it, but none of their methods helped.

Any ideas?

Have you installed all the latest drivers for the motherboard?
If nothing else, why not just go buy a USB PCI card and install that?

Crysalis said:
Yes, yes and no. Worked fine until i upgraded mobo and processor.

Did you install all the drivers on the Motherboard Disc that was included?

If you did, I would run a repair of windows.

I ran a repair of windows right after i installed new mobo and processor, then i installed the drivers. Should I have done it the opposite? I was getting blue screens referring to IRQ address and it wasn't "fixable", so i upgraded. Those BSOD's were gone, but the boot sector for windows went bad, so I did a repair since I couldn't boot to windows to install drivers. Once Windows was fixed, I installed the drivers from the mobo's CD. I have tried to uninstall them, but I dont see anywhere to do it. When I insert the CD, it shows everything is installed, but no where to remove and when i push OK, it says Drivers Installed, Please Reboot. Rebooting doesn't do anything.

AnthraX said:
Have you installed all the latest drivers for the motherboard?
If nothing else, why not just go buy a USB PCI card and install that?

Problem with that is is that I DO have a PCI card installed as well... I get the same thing. The drives show up in disk management and Device manager, but can't access them for the life of me.

EDIT: I took out the PCI card just to eliminate that in case the drivers were interferring with each other. Didn't help

Did you do a fresh install of windows after swapping motherboard and chip or just put in your old drive, and run a repair?

Odd question, but do all the usb ports have power? I've come across computers which freeze when you plug any usb devices in because there isn't enough power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom