What processor should i buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomcowe

Baseband Member
Hello i am upgrading my pc's processor and need some help on which one to get. Here are my current pc specifications:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2

AMD Athlon XP 2000+
1.67 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM

120GB HDD

40GB HDD

Nvidia Geforce 6600GT graphics card

Dual layer DVD RW ROM

DVD ROM

(A nice system but i need to upgrade the processor)

It is mostly a gaming machine for playing the latest games on i.e Battlefield 2 etc.

I think most people would agree that trying to find the right processor is tricky because there is so many out there on the market.

I am looking to buy a processor around the 2.40GHz mark but need some advice on the one to get. I was looking at the AMD Athlon 64 series but i got confused on the different models.

Can someone point me in the right direction on which processor to buy? Or give me some chocies? Thanks.

I am replacing the processor and motherboard my current socket is socket A (462)

hmmm, you have a 6600 in a board with a XP 2000+? Thats a bottle neck!

I would go for a new mobo too. Also, you didn't list your RAM...

Haha, socket A cpu with a 6600, well you obviously can't get a new mobo because it will have pci-e and your agp 6600 wont run on it. To get the fasest system you can with your specs, i'd buy a 2nd hand AMD Athlon XP 3200+. They clock at i think 2.2GHZ and you can pick one up cheap. It should give you a fairly big performance increase seeing as in the days of socket A the 3200 was the s**t. Upgrade to two gigs of ram aswell because bf2 runs pretty poor with only 1 gig of ram.

Do you want a mild upgrade to run BF2, or do you want more of a semi-expensive makeover? That will help determine if we can go the route of a s754 sempron, or a s939 athlon.

Ryan

XP 3200's are really overpriced because of a lack of availibility, I'd say replace the proc, board, and card. In the long run it will be worth it.

I think your graphics card is okay. Buy yourself a socket 754 motherboard with an AGP 4x/8x slot and a sempron 2600+. That'll run BF2 just fine. You can reuse your ram. That's about a $130 upgrade, and you'll be playing a lot smoother.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom