Newbie and first computer build??

Status
Not open for further replies.

David_396

Beta member
well here is what I was looking at buying. Was also lokking at having TV input. Not sure if VIVO is what I'm looking for?? Was also thinking of an ATI all in wonder board. Kinda looking for a STAMP of APPROVAL from all the Computer Masters on my choice (with lots of help from searching this site) of parts and pieces. If this computer was a BiG Block Chevy I'd feel more at home. thanxs david

Not sure on case/power supply choice

any help would be greatly appreciated

motherboard:

Update MSI K8N Neo4-F Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Model #: K8N Neo4-F
$80.00
ATX Computer Cases

Update Antec Performance One P150 Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 430-Watt ATX12V v2.2 Power Supply - Retail
Model #: P150

$25.00 Mail-in Rebate
$148.98 -$10.00 Instant $138.98 - $25 rebate

CD/DVD Burners (RW Drives) Qty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price

PLEXTOR Beige IDE DVD Burner Model PX-716A/SW - Retail
Model #: PX-716A/SW
$109.99

Memory - System Qty.

Update Patriot Signature Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model PSD1G400KH - Retail
Model #: PSD1G400KH

$77.95

not sure of this. spend the extra $$ and go dual core???

Processor:
Update AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3700BNBOX - Retail
Model #: ADA3700BNBOX
$223.00

Video Card

Update eVGA 256-P2-N515-AX Geforce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Desktop PC - Retail
Model #: 256-P2-N515-AX

$20.00 Mail-in Rebate
Remove Move To Cart Move To Wish List

I have a 120 gig Maxtor ultra/133 Hard drive 7200 rpm
thanxs again

I would spend the extra cache on a dual core...

And i would spend no more than $50 on a DVD burner...

I fully agree with Kitire about the DVD burner costing no more than $50. Lite-On makes very good ones anywhere from $35.00 to $50.00 and that way you'll have extra cash for a dual core processor.

GoodNews101 said:
I fully agree with Kitire about the DVD burner costing no more than $50. Lite-On makes very good ones anywhere from $35.00 to $50.00 and that way you'll have extra cash for a dual core processor.
Lite-On are actualy quite poor from experience, get an LG they are brilliant drives with great value

I'm not sure if that PSU would support that system, especially if you go dual-core and/or you want to upgrade in the future. Integrated PSU's that come in cases tend to be on the weaker side, so I'd buy a seperate solid Antec or OCZ PSU. I'd definetly agree that $100 is rediculous for a DVD burner, and unless you think your going to be doing alot of DVD burning, I'd go with a solid but cheap CD burning DVD reading drive, because when blue ray drives hit the street, you'll probably want one ... and HD DVD probably.

Go with a Sata 150 HD, ata is being phased out.

I don't know what you'll be doing with the computer, but unless your running games, simulators or other graphic intensive things, I doubt you need the 7800GT.

As others have suggested, I'd go dual-core, but the 3700+ is very solid and can be OC'd to 4000+ speeds and beyound.

Your motherboard is decent, nothing special but nothing horrible either.

Overall nice rig, but I'd really keep AMD's new socket, Socket AM2 in mind, which will be released before the end of Q2 of this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom