Transfer files from user to admin account

Status
Not open for further replies.
wouldn't that mean that I would lose all my songs and all sorts of docs if I put sp2 on it? And I don't know what slipstream means. :)

I wont be on to reply until 3p.m or 9a.m according to your last post that says 5:56 a.m.

if you manually install sp2 you wont lose anything but if you slipstream it, that means you need to reinstall. slipstream means to slip sp2 in an xp installation cd.

ok so I need to install sp2 on my pc using an xp HE sp2 cd. Which also means I lose everything.

To prevent losing everything I could just put all my songs on a cd. I've heard that it's good to wipe your comp once a year and I haven't done it once. So, installing sp2 isn't that bad of an idea.

na, this comp was a cheapy from walmart lol. It's hp. I didn't get a disc. They already had it installed on here. I don't know what sp it is. The booklet says version 2002 on the cover.

I did the ctrl+alt+delete (x2) on the logon screen. It let me type in "Administrator" to log in as that. I put the right password in because it didn't tell I did anything wrong. It just said that it couldn't let me on because of account restrictions. Anyone know what the heck that is?

did you try it without a password?

1. At a command prompt, type "control userpasswords2" and press Enter to open the Windows 2000-style User Accounts
application.
2. On the Users tab, clear the Users Must Enter A User Name And Password To Use This Computer check box and then
click OK.
3. In the Automatically Log On dialog box that appears, type the user name and password for the account you want to be
logged on each time you start your computer.

Remove Login Password

Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Local Security Settings/Minimum Password Length/Reduce it to 0 (No password required). Control Panel/User Account/Your Account/Remove Password.

Cannot Change the Administrator Password in Control Panel

After you log on as an administrator to a computer that is not a member of a domain, when you double-click User Accounts in Control Panel to change the password for the built-in Administrator account, the Administrator account may not appear in the list of user accounts. Consequently, you cannot change its password.

This behavior can occur because the Administrator account logon option appears only in Safe mode if more than one account is created on the system. The Administrator account is available in Normal mode only if there are no other accounts on the system. To work around this behavior:

- If you are running Windows XP Home Edition, restart the computer and then use a power user account to log on to the
computer in Safe mode.

- If you are running Windows XP Professional, reset the password in the Local Users and Groups snap-in in Microsoft
Management Console (MMC):

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type "mmc" (without the quotation marks), and then click OK to start MMC.
3. Start the Local Users and Groups snap-in.
4. Under Console Root, expand "Local Users and Groups", and then click Users.
5. In the right pane, right-click Administrator, and then click Set Password.
6. Click Proceed in the message box that appears.
7. Type and confirm the new password in the appropriate boxes, and then click OK.

How to Change User Password at Command Prompt

How to use the net user command to change the user password at a Windows command prompt. Only administrators can change domain passwords at the Windows command prompt. To change a user's password at the command prompt, log on as an administrator and type: "net user <user_name> * /domain" (without the quotation marks)

When you are prompted to type a password for the user, type the new password, not the existing password. After you type the new password, the system prompts you to retype the password to confirm. The password is now changed.

Alternatively, you can type the following command: net user <user_name> <new_password>. When you do so, the password changes without prompting you again. This command also enables you to change passwords in a batch file.

Non-administrators receive a "System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied" error message when they attempt to change the password.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom