Hope someone can help me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura

Solid State Member
Hi,

I have Windows xp home edition. A few weeks ago I formatted my hard drive and reloaded windows, just because I think it's a good idea to do now and then to get rid of old registry keys etc
Since then I been noticeing some weird problems.

1 My recyle bin does not hold any deleted files once I shut down and reboot. I'm not talking about a large amount (I mean 1 icon). I see the file in the bin when it first boots up, but once it completely finishes booting it disappears. I spent hrs trying to figure out what was wrong (unlike you guys,my knowledge of computers is very limited) but I give it my best.
I decided it's not a big deal and I would just live with it. I figured maybe something got corrupted and I didn't know where to look, or what I was even looking for.

2. I been podcasting lately and saving them to my desktop. I decided to put one on a cd. The way i did it was to right click on it from my desktop and (send to cd) When the file was transfered I clicked on d: drive to make sure it was on the cd. When I clicked on it it shut down my computer and then 'puter started up again. No error message. I thought I did something wrong so this time I right clicked on cd and choose open, same thing happened. The reason I telling you all this is because I'm wondering if it's connected to my recycle bin problem and the problem I have with the cd shutting down the 'puter is connected i.e. corrupted file or seperate issues?

I really don't want to reformat to fix problems (unless I have to so much work all over again.) I did try to do a repair, but when a pressed "r" it took me to recovery console and I didn't know what to do there.

FYI I have Zone Alarm, AVG anti-virus, Spybot, keep all updated and have checked all.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

click start, Run then type eventvwr
Open applicaition from the list on the left. Do you see any errors there? Look in System too. If you do, post the most common ones, just the infor from the message.

Problem 1

Check the options for the recycle bin. Right click and choose properties. See if "Do not move files to the Recycle Bin" is checked, if so uncheck it.

Problem 2

What CD's are you using, and have they been finalized. Try copying the files from your desktop to the CD, like copying between two directories. Then choose "write these files to CD" on the left. Follow the wizard and see what happens, use a CD-RW.

XP Repair install

Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, read this Warning#2!
Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Hi guys,

I just did a windows repair from the instuctions posted by IT system administrator. You finally made me realize what I was doing wrong. I kept hitting "r" (i thought for repair) instead of hitting enter for windows. I thought if I hit enter it would erase all my settings & data.
Here's the bad news, I still have the same problem as I described in my thread (recycle bin)
I also followed Inaris instruction looking for errors. There were errors before I did the new install & errors after install.
I'm not sure exactly what you want but here they are & in you need more info, I will give it.
Under Programs I found 1 error, but I think I know why I'm getting I have to update a program "instant cd/dvd" that came bundled on my 'puter.

System errors:
Service Control Manager (lots of these errors)
System error
Setup error
dcom error

Thanks so far for all the help

A. If the Recycle BinÂ’s INFO file is damaged, your Recycle Bin will appear empty even when it isnÂ’t. You can often restore a file in this situation by searching for the file by name (click Start -> Find -> Files Or Folders, or Start -> Search in Windows XP) and then renaming it.

If you still canÂ’t recover your file, try deleting the INFO file. This will cause Windows to create a new INFO file the next time you restart your system. When you reboot, you may find the files in the Recycle Bin are now accessible. YouÂ’ll need to work from a DOS prompt to fix things up. Remember to press Enter after typing each of the DOS commands mentioned below:

Click Start -> Programs -> MS-DOS Prompt to open a DOS command window. (In Windows XP use Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt.)
To make the Recycled folder the current folder type:
CD \RECYCLED

To unhide the INFO file type:
ATTRIB -H INF*

To delete the INFO file type:
DEL INFO*.

To close the DOS window type:
EXIT

thanks again for the help. I will try your suggestion. I now seem to have a new problem since I reinstalled win today. The 'puter really lags at the welcome to window screen when you first boot up. It didn't do that before i did install.
Also I'm concerned about the errors I seen when I logged unto eventvwr. Shouldn't i fix them somehow.
thanks

so you totallu wiped out windows right? and not you have a slow startup? Did you install a bunch of programs?

yes I guess i totally wiped out windows. I went to setup from the cd and pressed enter @ (setup windows xp new) aand it did it's thing.
I haven't downloaded anything except win updates as the new install wiped out sp2, but even before i downloaded updates you know windows reboots it hung up on the welcome screen a long time and has since.
What about the errors I mentioned? Are they a problem?
Thanks again, Warez Monster

Just curious, but do you get this lag on the welcome screen when you boot windows into safe mode? If not it may be a driver that is loading veryyyy loonnggg...and we can pin point which one it is with a utility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom