single core vs dual core

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flanker with Processor affinity you can set everyone to run one one core and the game on the other. This is a breakthrough in gaming as the other core handles all background and the other "gaming core" is not burdened. The origanal Xbox can produce some pretty impressive games for being a Pentium 3 and using a card that is not as good as a 6800GS even but it doesn't have background services to run like an OS, music, firewall, webserver, or any of that. The same is applied when you use processor affinity an unburdened system can do alot with little to work with.

I'd hardly call that a breakthrough. The processor is at maybe 2% load, MAX, when there is nothing running on it. If you need that 2% that much, then consider a new processor.

more like 12-15 with your firewalls, anti virus, messengers, and music running. I dno't think everyone turns off their security while playing a game and I think some people even listen to their music as the game music isn't so great.

Sure it's maybe 2% on a high end processor but not everyone in the world has enough cash to dish out a 4800+, a 180 Opt, or a FX-60.

I'm running an Antivirus, 2 instances of AIM message windows, and music in Real Rhapsody. The CPU usage on my $160 3200+ is oscillating between 2% and 3%. If I were to start a game, it would go up to maybe 40%...

That is because of AIM. CSS is unplayable, i repeat, unplayable, that is coming from a guy with 1.6GHz processor, 512 ram, radeon 7500...

But if you're even thinking of buying a Dual Core processor, you won't be going with a 1.6GHz processor, 512MB RAM, and a Radeon 7500...

CS:S isn't designed to run on specs like that. it really needs at LEAST an FX-5200 (what I have, which will run it on low settings) and a 2500+ CPU
but for descent settings, it should really be on a Radeon 9600 and a 3000+ CPU

Flanker said:
But if you're even thinking of buying a Dual Core processor, you won't be going with a 1.6GHz processor, 512MB RAM, and a Radeon 7500...

WTF? What are you talking about?

Yes Flanker I also agree there is no reason just because you get a dual core you have to get a high end dual core there are plenty of entry level dual cores that are known for their OC ability even.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom