Too Much Memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve40th

Baseband Member
I have a AMD 64 3800, Radeon X700 PCI 256mb video card, and Wxp. My question is it came with 1gb of pc 3200 ram, and I added 1 more GB of same speced PC3200 ram, yet different name. I used crucial, and th eHP came with whatever HP comes with. I ran 2 benchmarks, 3dmark05 and 03 and ran 5980 in 03 and 2085 in 05. Is there any benchmarks to see if something is slowing this down. I would think that the system would run a little quicker.

Those are the scores I get with my x700. It's totally normal. Those types of programs don't use a lot of ram, so you're not going to see your score increase by adding another gig. 2gb of ram is only for memory intensive programs.

Ryan

The optimum memory at the moment is 1gb with 2gb being the max you should get, it is commonly thought that the more memory the more performance, this is true until you reach 1gb but over can even reduce performance as in the case of 4gb. a good idea is to have support for 4gb's or so, as time goes buy you can add the memory to always be fastest as the need for memory increases in programs.

So, what is a good test to see if I even need this much memeory.
The only program I have that is memory intense is Photoshop.
I also use Mozzila with 4 users, which can use some memory, even though I went to there help site and reduced memeory useage.

there isn't much point in testing really in testing, I recommend 1gb but if you don't think you need it then get 512 but that's not very wise, if you choose to use more memory intense programs one day then you might be lacking a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom