Copy hard drive, but not partition size?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess that's why my comp (40gig) says that all I have is 31.7 gigs. Why does the comp take off that space though?

The manufactures all say its a 40gb hdd when its not, etc. In the real world, you always take a certain percentage of this..

that doesn't make much sense to me. Why take a certain % of it? Is it just one of those manufacturer things that you don't know or is there a technical reason?

I hate things like that.

Always remember to take approximately 7% off a drives stated capacity to get the "real" capacity. Everybody who knows anything about computers knows that a kilobyte is 1024bytes, a megabyte is 1024x1024 = 1048576 bytes and a gigabyte is 1048576 x 1024 = 10737441824 bytes. That is everyone but hard drive manufactures. The claim 1kb = 1000 bytes, 1mb= 1 million bytes, and 1 gb = 1 billion bytes, thats ********, What this means is the formatted capacity of your drives is at least 7% less then advertised and usually higher, because disk file system need overhead to operate. Make sense now?

yeah. From the astrics I take it that what the manufacturers say is BS. That seems to be the case with a lot of things lol. Thx for the info...I like to know "why" to almost everything. So when I get on here and people help me with my probs, I almost always end up asking why 50 times to many different things.

I like learning about comps though.

use partition magic to copy the drive. it has the feature.

pmcopy.jpg

Well, I ended up with both PartitionMagic 8.0 and Ghost 9.0 for free (I love having friends who uninstall and chuck software :D).

I used Ghost's Copy One Drive to Another feature, making sure I checked the box for copying the master boot record... and 38 minutes later, I had my stuff transfered.

Now I plan on using PartitionMagic to make a small partition to install a version of Linux on, and BootMagic to make my system a dual boot.

Thanks for all the help, guys.

glad it worked......

You and me too, man.

I had to convince my wife that I knew what I was doing before I was able to even buy the drive. So it would have been ugly if it hadn't...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom