Downfalls and benefits of using a crt hdtv for a monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I actually looked a little into it this time. Yeah, you can have HD CRT's. My bad. I thought the only way was to get a converter. But can they act as a monitor as well as LCD's?

I have a new crt hdtv that displays 1080i as its highest resolution. I don't see how a computer can't display well on it. My graphics card has VIVO for use with a hdtv. Anyone know if newer crt hdtv will look good with a pc?

Stainer711,
You could always try going into BB or CC and tell them you are looking into buying a HDTV, but you need to see if how well it will display on a laptop, you know because you want to buy both, but your not sure how well it work together. They should be able to take it over to one of the CRT's and use the s-video display to show you.
I'll see if I can get one to do it today or tomorrow since I'm looking into a new computer.

Also good point out Anthrax of Analog v Digital, Though I'm thinking HDCRT would have to be digital sinve analog degrades so much over distance.

stainer711,
Hey look I know you already bought one.
What I was saying is go to one of the big box stores and tell THEM you are looking into buying a Laptop and and HDTV. This way they may hook it up and show you if or if they are not compatible. I didn't say go there and buy one.
And by the way I went and to BB and found out how they look on a Samsung slimfit CRT HDTV. I did this By telling them I was looking into buying both. And guess what it......
Yeah.....You know I'll let YOU do the research since FOR CHRIST SAKES I CAN"T READ....

.. Are CRT HD's any cheaper than LCD's? Because i really don't want to start with LCD's... Not for another 4-5 years or so.

stainer711,

Hey look I know you already bought one.
What I was saying is go to one of the big box stores and tell THEM you are looking into buying a Laptop and and HDTV. This way they may hook it up and show you if or if they are not compatible. I didn't say go there and buy one.
And by the way I went and to BB and found out how they look on a Samsung slimfit CRT HDTV. I did this By telling them I was looking into buying both. And guess what it......
Yeah.....You know I'll let YOU do the research since FOR CHRIST SAKES I CAN"T READ....,

**** pwnd!

Yea I think that CRT HDTVs are cheaper then LCD.

Yes CRT's are generally less expensive than LCD's for the same sive TV. They offer better blacks, but are limited in size. They alo weight more and take up more space.

If I was in the marketfor a HDTV, I would try to wait about 6 months. A bunch of new companies have entered the Plasma/LCD market. Also established TV companies have increased production and facilities (Like samsung, lg, panasonic). What this means in about 6 months or so the supply will be greater than the demand so prices should fall.

My parents just got a new LCD HDTV at our house because our other one broke, and they new HD was on the rise. Thing looks magnificant. They bought it, ironically, right before I built my HTPC so I now can hook up the computer to the TV. :)

Just to warn anyone in the market for HDTV's. Make sure you get the built in tuner. If you don't, you'll have to spend about $100-$300 more just for the TV to be able to play anything HD.

By reading your post it is impossible to know that you were not talking about asking the people at best buy to hook up possible tv purchases to see which one looks the best on a pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom