Missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Status
Not open for further replies.

chopz

Solid State Member
Hey guys,

I followed all the instructions on: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

After part 2 I could actually access Windows but after completing the rest of the instructions now it firstly goes to screen where I can choose: safe mode, last known good configuration, normally etc... and I've tried all of them and when it gets to the XP loading screen it just restarts automatically.

Any suggestions please?

Help will be much appreciated.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Is there anyway I can undo part 2-4?

Or do I just redo part 1 again?

Cheers.

Nope. do it all again til you get to the part that you said was fine and dont go any farther....

Thanks`man. :)

But I think my continual restarts will continue. Is there anyway to stop them? I heard that they're worms or something.

How do I get rid of the unexpected restarts?

Oh yeh forgot to mention - when I repeat part 1 I'm just overwriting the same thing... Is that what it is supposed to do?

what about a windows repair?

XP Repair install

Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, read this Warning#2!
Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Yeh I don't have the XP CD on me at the moment and it's an urgent matter.

Thanks anyway.

So do I just overwrite the old files?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom