oh jeez

Status
Not open for further replies.

KryptoKnight

In Runtime
I was getting ready to order my new parts for my PC(including an opteron 165) when I saw that people are bashing the OPteron line. It overheats? Since I'm still a beginner, relatively, at building PCs and OCing, I'm starting to get worried. Should I replace the Opteron with an AMD x2?

opteron = X2.

its sometimes really down to luck to how well a CPU overclocks. some CPU will overclock fantastically, whereas somewhere else the exact same CPU wont overclock at all.

But chances of getting an Opteron that overclocks well is high.

Chances of gettin an X2 that overclocks well is moderate.

Me, personally ive research the **** out of the X2's and Opterons and decided to go for an X2.

main reason is because it's in stock! unlike opterons.

the X2's will generally overclock to the same as opterons.

Hardly any difference between em really.

apokalipse said:
the Toledo is the same core used by the dual core Opteron's
actually its not, they use the denmark core. that is a mistake on CPUz's part. Please corret me if im wrong BTW.

I believe that the Toledo is the same as the Denmark, they just have a different name for whatever reason
but if they are in fact not the same, they are at least very similar.

Actually I just realized, the are a little different. The denmark core supports direct connect and toledo does not. Direct connect just lets you use a multi-cpu motherboard, but since the socket 939 opteron 100 series dosn't support running in a multi-cpu environment, that is basicly a null point. They do seem to OC way better than the X2s however.

From my understanding, Opterons are server-based processors. Don't know if they would handle gaming as good as any of the Athlons would. Too many people concentrate on clock speeds and the cache, and nobody gives a **** about the actual architecture of the thing. It'll probably perform well, but it'll be extremely unstable, esepcially when you start OCing the thing.

Oh, and let me mention that you'll void your warranty if you use it on regular Athlon 64 mobos. Remember, as I said before, it's been designed for server use only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom