Need help. Problems formatting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Secundus

Baseband Member
I am trying to format the HD in my sig with a win 98 boot disk. I put the disk in and turn the computer on and everything goes well until I get to the A prompt. Type in fdisk and I get this message. "No fixed disk present". I have tried all 3 option for formatting and get the same message with each.

Looked around a little. So you can only format new SATA drives with the F6 option in XP? Is this correct?

Thanks.

Actually I think this is to install xp on the HD. Not format the HD.

i had this problem only witha pendrive just run the xp setup untill it asks which partition to use there u can format and delete partiotins then exit setup leaving you with a formated HDD
but i only did this with a pen drive by mistake so maybe not the best option but i fixed my pen drive:D

Ok problem is when I hit F6 and then hit S to add the hard drive it asks for the disk my drivers are on which are on a CD. But xp keeps trying to read the floppy drive. How can I get xp to read the cd drive to DL Sata drivers?

No. It's during the xp setup. It says to put in the cd for the drivers in A: drive and hit enter. No other options. Think I am going to put the cd in other computer and try to copy the driver folder to a floppy and get it started.

The only thing that should be plugged into the HD is the SATA cable and the SATA power cord correct? Also since I have a SATA HD and only one other cd drive does it matter on the master/slave switch for either?

Problem solved. Went to gigabyte website and downloaded needed drivers onto a floppy. Now officially up and running with 2nd partition formatting now. This proves if I can build a successful computer anyone can.

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom