Virtual Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

m.bodnar

Baseband Member
If you are oerating on 256MB of RAM. What is the maximum for custom settings of your Virtual Memory?

Thanks In advance

Melissa

Virtual memory has nothing WHATSOEVER to do with you present RAM in your computer. Virtual Memory is exactly what it says, Virtual, meaning it is not real. What your computer does, is it takes free space on your harddrive and allocates it as 'Fake' memory until either: A) You install stuff and take up the room on your HD, or B) you restart your computer.

To configure your virtual memory, although I would only do this if you are quite knowledgable in what you are doing, follow this:

Right lick on my computer, go to properties. On the tabs at the top, click Advanced, then click on the button for performance options. Now click on Change, where it says Virtual Memory. DO NOT change anything if you do not know EXACTLY what you are doing.

I think he is asking how much he should make it,
For my part, there is a sorta fomula that micrsoft states, I think it is Xg-present ram= virtual memory,
Anyways it should not be higer then 700mb. So 600mb is a safe number

-gkhan

Why should you not have high virtual memory? I thought it was the more the merrier. Kinda like RAM, can never have too much. Until, of course, you max it out.

The point of using RAM is to AVOID using the HDD as memory cache (VM).

For Example: VIDEO TRANSCODING>

MASSIVE slowdown occurs whenever the VM is used as the HDD ties itself in knots trying to read (HDD) and write (HDD) to the VM at the same time as trying to read a file (HDD)>transcode (inc HDD)>then rewrite the new file (HDD) multiply this by how compression compares each frame with other frames (even more mem) AND the not inconsiderable seek times AND the slower transfer rates than RAM and people wonder why there machine takes HOURS or DAYS to do a simple job.....the answer is they need more RAM to stop the VM.

Going back just a few years to W98SE it was a struggle to manipulate a single photo in apps like PSP/PP/Photoshop etc, due to the crappy but standard 64mb of RAM installed....and unless you have a very short memory [pun] then you will remember that RAM was very VERY EXPENSIVE talking $/£hundreds for just a 64mb stick of PC100....and were talking a single photo here not the tens of thousands involved in a movie!

So the bigger the VM the more the possible slowdown (and loss of your HDD space).

Tis why serious kit has mucho RAM (like corperate servers and high end CAD workstations etc).

Some people must have very DEEP pockets if they've got W03 on their sys.....

AMD Athalon 2400 XP+
40 GB/120 GB
£±£°£²£´MB RAM
why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom