How do i install optical drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiDrIoT69

In Runtime
Im getting a new DVD drive soon, in like an hour, so i need to know how to install them. Also, is there any difference in SATA's?

Ok so how do i take out my old DVD drive. Open up the case and it should be simple? Disconnect from mobo?

And how do i install, put it in the slot area, connect to mobo. Turn on comp and does it automatically find it.

After you open up the computer ground yourself on metal first. You ll need to take both sides off the comp, unplug the power plug the IDE cable and if you have a speaker wire unplug it also. Then unscrew the 2 or 4 screws from drive. Then slide it out the front of computer. If it wont come out slide it into the computer and out if you have room. Look on the back of the drive and see what the jumper setting is on and put the new drive on same jumper either master slave or CS cable select. Plug the cables back in and screw it back into the case and boot er up before you put the sides on to test. If all is well turn it off and put it back together. The BIOS will recognize the drive upon boot...

hmmm I didn't pick up any sides on to test in what Splatoid said but I can offer you my edition, but what has been said already sounds pretty legit.

okay here goes:

1) Turn off the power, disconnect cables and take your computer to an area you feel comfortable working on it in.

2) remove the panels on both sides.

3) takes the power and IDE cables out of the drive you wish to replace then unscrew the mounting screws and slide the drive out the front, if you don't want to replace a drive then don't do step three.

4) Slide your drive in through the fron of the case in the bay you want it in. It may be easier to use the jumper select before you put it in, either Master, Slave or cable select. Master is usually used for the greater drive IE DVD-RW over DVD-ROM. Slave is for the lesser and keep away from CS.

5) mount your drive with the screws making sure the front plate is flush with your case and then mount it in with the screws.

6) Plug in the IDE cable which is a broad and usually white cable and the four pin molex with 1x Red, 2x black and 1x yellow wires.

7) test it out, it should appear in bios which you can access on boot or in my computer on windows.

8) if everything went well then put the panels back on your computer and enjoy your day.

Installing the optical is one of the easier parts of computer upgrading, even without a guide you should find your way with a bit of logic and good luck.

Cool, ima give it a whirl.

Also should i get some compressed air to clean out my inside? Its pretty dusty.

By sides on I mean dont put the computer back together till you see if its good.To save you time.But it was late and i didnt explane that real well. But what the heck huh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom