2 Processors? I only have one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BubbaBubby

Solid State Member
My computer has been acting real slow, like 10-30 FPS on games I used to get steady 60 on. All this happened after I reformatted. I checked the device manager, because it claims to have recovered from a serious error involving hardware drivers. It claims that I have a multi-processor PC, and I have 2 Intel Pentium 4 CPUs onboard (3.00 GHZ), and I know for sure this is not true. Could this be the cause for slow games? If so, how do I fix it? Also, my games won't run now, because they claim that I don't have a compatible sound card. I'm not even sure where to get all the drivers I need, if thats the problem.

Intel Pentium 4 CPU (3.00 GHZ)
Geforce 6600 GT
1024 MB of ram
Asus P4S800 Mobo

HELP!

EDIT: The bios also claims that the CPU is running at 75 degrees celsius, and is in red sometimes when I boot up.

No. He's saying the reason why it says you have 2 cores is because of hyperthreading. Its actually one physical core, but 2 logical cores, so the computer reads it as 2.

Would turning it off help my CPU temperatures? Also, I still don't get why I'm getting 10 FPS on SWAT 4, when the requirements are like 3 times lower than my computer. Lowering and raising the graphics have no effect on how fast it's running. :confused:

If you reformatted, you not only erased the content of the disk... you also erased the drivers for your motherboard.

Go to your mobo's manufcturer's site, and download ALL the drivers for your mobo, then install them.

Also, go through a list of your computer's components and make sure you have the proper drivers for them as well.

Sounds like it might be overheating if its at 75 degrees idle. Even max my 3.2ghz p4 only hits 50 degrees. Make sure the heatsink is on right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom