adding a 2nd hard drive from old computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rister12

Beta member
I am having trouble with a second hard drive (from my old computer; OS is Windows 98) that has been added to my new computer which operates on XP Pro. I don't want to reformat the new hard drive because it holds some valuable information that I would like to get out of before doing so; however, when trying open any files or folders (which appear in symbols rather than words) I get the error message "the filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect". I must admit that I am not computer savvy when it comes to hardware and this may seem ignorant, but I have no idea where to start to fix the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I think where your problem lies is windows 98 is conflicting with windows XP. Is there any way to put the old disk back into the old computer and do a backup of the stuff you need then put it in the new computer.But Im not 100 % sure this is the problem. Ill check around and get back with ya.

checked all cables, everything in tight...BIOS shows that it is indeed reading the new hard drive...I think the problem may be 98 conflicting with XP; however, the reason I moved the hard drive from the old computer rather than backing the data onto a disc to save the data I wanted to save is because my old computer would not boot up...don't know what's going on...any advice given would certainly be appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom