Need Help Choosing Between Two Processors!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mastercheif1231

Baseband Member
Hi all! I am building a new computer, but I am torn between two different AMD chips. One is the AMD Athlon 64 FX60 Toledo 1GHz FSB 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core. And the other is the AMD Athlon 64 FX57 San Diego 1GHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor. If anyone has any personal experience with one or both of these chips, any feedback would be appretiated. I do not know which is more important for gaming, the cache or the operating frequency. If anyone could please explain a little I would be greatful. Also if you guys have any other suggestions of processors that would make for a good gaming computer please tell me. Thanks all!!!

the FX-60 is dual core, so if I had the money, I'd choose the FX-60.
however the X2 4800+ is also dual core, and not much below the FX-60 (only by 200MHZ) and is a lot less expensive

Do you really need dual core for just a gaming computer though? Im not multitasking like using photoshop or any video editing. This is my delema...I dont know if I am going to see any performance increase from the dual core while playing games vs. a single core chip.

The FX-60 will last a lot longer. Dual core is relitivly new. So programs are just now becoming coded for them.

future games will take advantage of dual core CPU's, such as Unreal Tournament 2007 (based on the Unreal3 engine)

I recommend the X2 4800+
even in single threading, its performance is not far off the FX-57. however when both cores are utilised, it will just about double the FX-57 in performance.
plus, the X2 4800+ is also cheaper than the FX-57

I vote for the 4800 too. FX processors are made for the people who want the best of the best of the best. It's kindof a waste of money, unless money isn't an option. I'd go with the 4800+. It'll perform like a champ, and the FX-60 isn't going to make it look like a chump.

Ryan

yah the fx-60 is a 4800 x2 just clocked higher you can most likely overclock it to fx-60 speed and it will save you alot of money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom