Sockets and Sprockets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares

In Runtime
Besides the obvious difference in the number scheme, what are the technical differences between the different sockets? Socket A mainboards, socket 478 mainboards, etc. Is any particular socket better than another? There's gotta be some difference to them... can anyone tell me what that is?

Different sockets are for different CPUÂ’s, so you really need to know what processor you are looking for then chose the appropriate socket type, the two you mention, socket A and socket 478 are for AMD 32 bit, and Intel P4 CPUÂ’s respectively, (though donÂ’t quote me on the P4 bit).

Hmmm. So it basically has to do with the number of PINS on the CPU chip? Interesting. Thanks. I knew there had to be something to it and yeah i knew that the sockets corersponded with certain chips.

Are Socket A's older than Socket 478's and 754's (might be off on that last number). I understand neither is really better than the other... but which are oldest? I'm really only concerned with AMD sockets since i'll be building an AMD based pc soon.

Microbell, how's that Realtex AC97? Any good?

LV_Eagle, how's that Gigabyte mainboard? I've been pondering getting a Gigabyte mainboard myself. Anything you dont like about it?? What's Fedora Linux anyway??

Socket A processors are AMD's, and they will be your Athlon XP processors.

Socket 478 are the new Intel Pentium 4 processor sockets.

Socket 754 is for the new Athlon XP 64 bit

And Socket 940 is for the AMD FX-51 (way too expensive, but 64 bit)

Ares said:
LV_Eagle, how's that Gigabyte mainboard? I've been pondering getting a Gigabyte mainboard myself. Anything you dont like about it?? What's Fedora Linux anyway??

I know that wasn't towards me, but I was pondering this too, and I ended up going with the Abit AN7 and it's been a fantastic board. You can get it off Newegg for around $100 and you won't be unhappy. It has a ton of I/O and dual channel support, FSB 400, 5 PCI, AGP 8X, hell, it's just a great board. Plus, it has onboard 5.1 w/ optical in and out.

Thanks, Bandage Boy. I've heard of Abit before but for somereason i haven't seen many of them around for sale. Maybe i'm just not looking in the right place. I'll check out this "Newegg" you speak of.

www.newegg.com It's a great site, I don't know why you would ever shop in a store when you can find great prices on the internet. And they have quick shipping. If you order on Monday morning you should have it by Thursday for sure, maybe Wednesday.

Newegg is kewl. I like their shipping rates.

She's pretty (the AN7). Without me having to go back and look it up, what's the highest/best cpu that i could throw at that baby? And the same for the RAM? The mainboard i do end up getting (as my main machine) i plan on maxing out (best cpu and highest allowable ram).

You can have a total of 3GB Ram at PC3200, or 2GB running in Dual Channel. You can throw in any processor with a FSB of 266/333/400 and it takes ram from PC2100-3500 I guess, although the only reason you would want PC3500 is for OCing a 400mhz FSB processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom